1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Insert airline here) sucks running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’ve somehow never flown Southwest, but have heard from many who definitely agree with you. My pop was a big fan.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The callback finally worked. Problem solved. The lady who helped me could not have been nicer. She said many employees were given 90-day leaves in May and have not yet been called back to work. They expect that will change soon and they will finally be fully staffed.

Time for many beers.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Southwest customer service cannot be beat. It's not even close.

Hermes and I Should Coco like this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’m glad SW finally stopped serving peanuts.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

US airlines -- another thing I don't miss being overseas. The majors all seem aggressively mediocre, and the ones I hear good things about (Alaskan, JetBlue) don't tend to fly where I need to go. Haven't flown Southwest since 2012 or so, but I don't remember having any complaints.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I want to love Southwest, but in my market, there are never decent prices. Jetblue is good. I try to avoid American as much as I can, which basically leaves Delta. But we go for price usually, with flight times a close second.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting.

I cancelled all my reporting trips the first week of March. I'll try to do my work for the rest of this year based on reporting I've already done.

Not sure when I'll get back on a plane.

Our large domestic carriers are interchangeably indifferent/bad. JetBlue and Southwest are idiosyncratically OK if they fly where you need to go.

Generally, big legacy European operators like Lufthansa are great, and discount outfits like Ryan Air or Easy Jet are pretty bad. Wow and Vueling are/were OK. Always check to see if your discount Euro carrier has gone bankrupt the morning of travel.

The whole travel day experience has long been a series of small punishments. Now it's an airborne Petri dish / Roulette wheel.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Mngwa and maumann like this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think I got lucky with United last year. My flight home from Heathrow was supposed to be at 12:30 and it got pushed back to 1:45. They offered to put me on a 7:30 a.m. flight for no charge, so I decided to go that route. Sure, I was getting on the tube at 4 a.m., but I was also back home from Dulles in time to belly up to the bar and watch college football. And the plane was empty and I had a row to myself so I slept for the first four hours of the trip. It was great.

9. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

I've flown about 1.75 million miles on Delta and 700,000ish on American. That's a decent amount of loyalty, and though the comp upgrades and lounge access has been nice, there have been times when all those miles haven't meant a damn thing. I'm at the airport and can't get an earlier flight, which has 30 empty seats, for what reason? They'll make all the exceptions in the world when it benefits them. This has been one of the best parts of retirement -- not having to hear someone with TSA yell, "Feet on the yellow markers!"

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I miss flying - not at all. Haven't flown in a year, may never fly again. It has become such a hassle. An understandable hassle but a hassle nonetheless.

I used to spend more time in a plane than in my car and I generally had good luck. Smooth sailing all around. A lot of US Air and Delta out of Richmond, I know the Charlotte, Atlanta and Pittsburgh hubs very well. Delta by and large was just fine, though my No. 1 miserable airline experience was with Delta. Will detail later when I have more time.

I love JetBlue. Used to fly JetBlue a lot for quick trips to New York because it was so cheap. Flew home from Boston once during a World Cup. DirecTV at every seat and a USA game was on. The pilot circled for 10 or so minutes waiting for the game to end before landing. He got a big cheer for that.

garrow likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When I was in Vegas in mid March when the shit hit the fan and had to travel home four days early I went on Southwest’s website and had my flight changed in five minutes. And this was on March 15 when the world was melting down.

da man likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Same. I cancelled a bunch of trips the week of March 1, and Southwest was by far the easiest.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted