1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Insert airline here) sucks running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jul 2, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Trying to get a flight changed on Delta Airlines. Can't do it online because they have already changed my itinerary about three times already.

Couldn't get through at all earlier today. Finally did at 4:02 p.m., told me it would be a 3-minute hold. It's now 5:33 and I'm still on hold.

Supposedly high call volumes. How is that possible with air travel off by 80%? What do they have, four people working to cover the whole freaking country?

Pretty crappy way for a business begging for business to treat its customers.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Definitely a Your Mileage May Vary situation.

We’ve had a great experience with Delta. We canceled an overseas flight in June. Got credit for two years and hopefully we’ll get to use it next year.

I canceled a domestic flight for later this month. Went from direct to two plane changes. They refunded me on that. Customer service started with an online chat then the phone. Maybe that’s the way to go?

United always sucked for me. And I miss Continental.

3. micropolitan guy

I have too. This is highly unusual. Used another phone, got the callback service. Said they would call back in seven minutes. We'll see. Tried that this morning, said they would call back in 20, and it was 2 hours and by then I'd left home and missed the call.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I once lunged over a counter at Sea-Tac in an attempt to assault a United gate worker.

Delta's been good to me.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

United has the same effect on me.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I miss Continental too. I live at a United hub, so the bulk of my (very few) frequent-flyer miles are with them. But I'm price- and schedule-conscious, rather than brand.

I've had good luck getting airline customer service via Twitter DM.

I am not pleased with Delta, who promised pandemic-related refunds and delivered credit. However, I forwarded screenshots of all the Delta emails -- including the broken promises -- to my credit-card company, and got the money back that way. The credit is still showing up in my Delta account.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We were supposed to fly to Vancouver 10 days ago. Wife got it cancelled with very little hassle back in April. My sister's flight was automatically cancelled and she received credit. Not sure why Delta is being a dick about this.

8. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Vombatus and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When it comes to customer service, no one touches Southwest. No one is even close.

Try to change a flight on another airline. Then try it on Southwest. Report back on which is the better experience.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

Finally hung up after 2 1/2 hours. Got the callback service on another phone. They said I'd hear from them in seven minutes. That was a half-hour ago. Still waiting.

I do fly Southwest whenever possible. It's not on this trip. Southwest's customer service is outstanding.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My wife recently had a similar experience with Delta. Waited more than an hour on hold. Gave up, called back later (at about 10 p.m.) and the recording offered her the "we'll call you back" option. She took it. It said they would call her within an hour. Six hours later -- yes, at 4 freakin' a.m. -- she got a call back.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Live in a United hub and fly it frequently, though a couple of weeks ago I went to SoCal via Southwest and had no issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted