1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inquirer Beat Guy to MLB.com ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny_Killroy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Have friends who work there and they maintain it's very real.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

My experience is that the MLB.com beat guys get tipped to news from the team before the regular beat guys. Which makes it feel to me like the house organ that it is.

I'm not saying this is a crime against nature, but there is definitely a p.r. component.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

If you're running the team and trying to drive traffic to your site, why wouldn't you do this?

4. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Ditto.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Zolecki made a wise career move given the situation at the Inky. As for the DN assistant SE job, that's not the only area where the paper is shorthanded.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I wanted to see if that was true, so I did a search. In MLB.com's defense, the actual 2002 "writethru" game story didn't cheerlead the tie. don't know if the early story, or a sidebar, had that lead.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20020709&content_id=78899&vkey=allstar2002&fext=.jsp&c_id=null

and even the "columnist" slightly dissed the decision

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20020710&content_id=79006&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

as for the staff there, some beat writers are better than others in writing around "negative" stories.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was probably the running story, but I remember someone from this site linking to it.

8. A week until pitchers and catchers - What happened with this? Anyone get the job?

9. blogismycopilot

blogismycopilot New Member

They either have completed or are nearing completion the first round of interviews and are planning a second batch. One of the guys who interviewed is a former columnist for a suburban Philly paper who used to cover the Phillies and is tremendous. From what I understand they've also interviewed five or six others. But, according to Drip, they won't be making a hire. So I guess it is a moot point.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is Kevin Roberts in play in all of this?

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Todd started several days ago. I believe he has three of four stories under his belt already.

12. they're talking about the inquirer's phillies beat

Draft saved Draft deleted