1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inquirer Beat Guy to MLB.com ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny_Killroy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. bottom line is mlb got a solid guy in zolecki

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. missingthepnw

missingthepnw New Member

I would say at least half of MLB.com writers have newspapers background, as beat guys and that Mandel wasn't the highest-paid beat guy and his canning wasn't motivated by salary. BYH, you need to get over the fact that MLB.com is pulling kids out of college and sticking them on beats. It's not happening everywhere. And newspapers aren't doing the same thing?

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Inquirer beat guy fears that future consolidation of the Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News will eliminate one of the Phillies beat jobs.

4. missingthepnw

missingthepnw New Member

Good point, Fran. We see what's happening in Dallas.

5. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

We all know MLB.com has made recent cuts for no purpose other than to save money, and hiring interns to fill full-time jobs follows that philosophy. But I certainly hope Mandel wasn't getting paid more than guys like Sullivan and Kaegel, just to name two among many others in the organization who have long-term track records in the business. Perhaps they weren't all that thrilled with Mandel's work. Regardless, Zolecki is a pretty nice pickup.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Salisbury's done a decent job with the Phils' off-season news. They'll miss Zolecki. They also had Brookover doing Phils before he went to the Eagles.

7. Johnny_Killroy

Johnny_Killroy New Member

I suppose the logical question now is, who is next at the Inquirer? Do they switch someone onto Zolecki's desk or bring in from outside they they did for the Sixers (and the DN did with the Phils)?

8. scribe77

scribe77 New Member

The Inquirer is looking to hire a beat writer from outside, and some of the people considering the position are established MLB beat writers elsewhere. They should be able to make a very good hire, if they haven't already. Jim Cohen seemed to be moving very quickly.

Without getting too personal, Ken's dismissal was separate from the monetary purge of nearly everyone unassigned to a team--more a conflict with a superior. He was the only person assigned to a team let go, if I'm not mistaken. He's a good guy, so I hope he lands on his feet.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are still enough warm bodies to cover the Phillies without going outside. As for consolidation with the Daily News, it may be coming sooner than many think. The photo and copy desks have merged. The only thing left is for the reporting staff and since cash flow is a serious issue as the recent missed bank notes have indicated, it appears to be a logical step.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It would be nice if the Inquirer hired a baseball beat writer from the outside, but it's hard to picture that happening. The newspaper does have a propensity for bringing back former Inquirer guys, so you never know.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know that won't be happening. I'd bet the house on it.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What difference does it make how solid someone is if they're operating under mlb.com restrictions?

Draft saved Draft deleted