1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inquirer Beat Guy to MLB.com ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny_Killroy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Johnny_Killroy

Johnny_Killroy New Member

A couple of web sites in Philly are reporting that Todd Zolecki, the Inquirer's Phillies beat writer, will be moving on from the Philly newspaper to cover the same beat for MLB.com.

First of all, does anyone know if this is true? If so, does anyone know why? I thought MLB.com fired Ken Mandel because of financial reasons, Zolecki can't be significantly cheaper (and he's definitely going to come at a higher price tag than their legions of interns). Does MLB think he's a tangible step up? Does Zolecki? What is going on here?

2. zolecki to mlb is correct

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Must be working really cheap.

MLB.com doesn't pay for quality. And as Killroy notes, Mandel was fired b/c he made too much money.

4. Johnny_Killroy

Johnny_Killroy New Member

Than why take it? This can't be the Inky's call can it?

5. wrong on everything so far

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

is it animal, mineral or vegetable?

7. missingthepnw

missingthepnw New Member

BYH, wrong on all fronts. Keep trying.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, if I'm wrong, then Todd is the exception to the rule. Because MLB.com is cheap as fuck and could not care even a whit about quality, and everyone who works there knows it. And everyone knows they were looking to fire Mandel b/c he made too much money.

10. Calm blue ocean, Beej.

11. phillyscribe

phillyscribe New Member

If they fired Mandel because he made too much money, the guy that's replaced him is going to get fired tomorrow.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope this guy did get the gig at mlb.com. At least someone would be getting hired.

But while I am not as awesome and experienced and as connected and as able to walk on water as write then drink, I KNOW it's a fucking fact mlb.com wanted to fire Mandel b/c he was making too much money. and while I am not as awesome and as experienced and as connected and as able to walk on water as write then drink, I know, by merely being able to read, that mlb.com is cheap as fuck. Therefore, logically, why would mlb.com hire someone with more experience than the college fishwrap?

I guess I should just write then drink more often.

Draft saved Draft deleted