1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Input on Big Apple vacation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Heartland food is as heart-UNHEALTHY as has ever been devised by the mind of man.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There will be plenty of places open.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Agree there will be places open, but if you have a special place you want to go you might want to check and/or make a reservation.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yes.

5. So, what are the names of the two art museums?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Metropolitan Museum of Art = The Met.

MOMA= Museum of Modern Art.

And don't forget the Museum of Natural History across the park.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There are way more than two art museums. The Met covers art history. Everything from Rembrandt (and my favorite, El Greco) to the impressionists to Egyptian vases and beyond. MOMA is modern art. Not my thang, but I understand that others like it.

There are more than a dozen other noteworthy art museums, and a bunch of smaller ones. Others to look into are the Guggenheim (19th and 20th Century art), which is a cool building designed by Frank Llloyd Wright. It is a giant circular teacup-like ramp that I'd love to attack with roller blades or a skateboard if I had the chance. The Whitney is devoted entirely to American art and is really impressive. Cooper-Hewitt on the Upper East Side isn't technically an art museum, I don't think, but it is cool to visit. It is a "design" museum and is housed in the mansion that Andrew Carnegie lived in. It has fascinating displays and gives you a feel for opulent 19th Century wealth. If you are visiting the Met, that area along fifth avenue is sort of known as the museum mile (a bunch of museums I didn't mention) and Cooper-Hewitt is toward the middle to north end somewhere around 91st or 92nd or something like that. The Met is in the mid 80s and the Guggenheim is at 88th.

8. Gotcha. I was asking because I was trying to remember which one we already had tickets to, and then I just saw we have tickets to both.

Priceline is awesome. For $65 each, we already have tickets to the Empire State Building, the Met, MoMA, the Museum of Natural History, the Guggenheim and the Circle Line Harbor Cruise.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The 2nd Avenue Deli (162 East 33rd Street) will definitely be open. Maybe the boyfriend will be interested in treating you to some state-of-the-art tongue.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How tasteless is it if I suggest that the food is to die for?

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't get either of those jokes.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In the recent NYT article about the place, there was a great line -- "the problem with Jewish deli is that after you eat, in 36 hours, you are hungry again."

As to places open on Xmas, check out the NYT's food section -- tons of places adverstize as being open. Mrs. W and I used to do that every year.

The Heartland Brewery should not be an option. Go to the Blind Tiger Ale House or d.b.a.

Draft saved Draft deleted