1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Input on Big Apple vacation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Dec 17, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You better not make her cough up 750 bucks. No way.

2. Christmas present. :)

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

How long have you all been together?

4. Just celebrated nine months. Known each other almost a year.

I know it's not a long time, but sometimes you just know, I guess.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Lucky girl. :D

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Please keep in mind that my suggestion about walking around Manhattan should be balanced with rational decisions based on weather.

7. Definitely the other way around.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Question:

I realize it's NYC, the city that never sleeps, blah blah blah...but will everything be open ON Christmas Day? I'll be there the 24-26 and wanted to make sure we wouldn't be stuck with the CVS and the Thai food that has rats by the door.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you won't have a problem. But will be interested in hearing about it when you get back.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Check K-Town for Korean food (on 34th between Broadway and 5th Ave) and Chinatown. I don't believe that many places in those locations will be closed. However, I have never attempted to get food in the City on Christmas, so I am sorry for not being 100% on this.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hmmm...let me rephrase:

Will we be able to get some beer and American food on that day? I don't like Chinese.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. I normally wouldn't take advice from Spnited on a brand of chewing gum, but he's right about both these things. :) Avoid Heartland Brewery. It's an OK afterwork meet up place for a beer (and it isn't even great for that), but it isn't the place to hit if you are tourist. If you want beer and decent food and more of a NY experience, check out Jimmy's in the East Village (E. 7th Street, between 2nd and 3rd, down the stairs). Very good beer and sake list, organic food menu that is decent and less expensive than Heartland. Jimmy's is just such a nice place. It is underground and has a speakeasy feel. And if by chance it doesn't work for you, it is literally next door to "The Burp Castle," which has a bunch of different things on tap and cool monk murals on the walls.

And the Met beats the hell out of MOMA (although I will at least acknowledge that this is a matter of personal taste, even if my taste is the right taste).

Draft saved Draft deleted