1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Input on Big Apple vacation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Mrs. Seahawk and I were in NYC over the weekend. We saw Legally Blonde, and while I should probably turn in the man card, we had a great time. I laughed out loud several times, and the cast was pretty sharp that night.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Food quality at OIBL/TIBS can be debated, but the ambiance is bulletproof.
    One caveat -- INSIST on downstairs. If you're forced upstairs, the majority of the charm is lost.

It must also be noted that Aaron Burr used to LIVE on the premises.

I kid you not.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The boyfriend and I are going to the Perfect Pint. He can get a beer, I'll get the bisque. It's the one thing I've demanded we do.

Well, that and Central Park.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is another excuse for a return trip to NYC. If I had known this existed, I would have crashed the place the last time I was in town.

Atlantic Coast Conference basketball on the screens? Well done.

The menu is thoroughly North Carolina-themed. Opt for the North Carolina barbecue over South Carolina as the latter does the chicken bog much better than pork products. Well thought-out with the Brunswick Stew, Pecan Pie and all those Southern items on the menu.

Hopefully it's without the thick plumes of cigarette smoke often seen in the Carolinas. :p I wonder if wearing something from the homeland qualifies for a discount. If not, I suppose I could start drawling the regional dialect ... :D

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Grab a burger at either P.J. Clarkes or The Press Box.

Go into the Waldorf-Astoria, just to gawk at the building.

Stout, St. Andrew's or the Half-King are all fine drinking establishments.

6. Wow guys (and girls). Your help on here and PMs have been great. Of course, I know we won't be able to do everything, but now I have ideas on what to suggest.

We're definitely going to be putting the subway to good use. We're staying at the Grand Hyatt on Park and 42nd, so we're right next to Grand Central.

The Broadway show is definitely open as far as what we'll decide. I know she really wanted to see either The Little Mermaid or Wicked, but we've got several different times we can go.

The only restaurant set in stone is BLT Steak on New Year's Eve (already have reservations). But I need to print this thread out right before we go and then we'll have some personable suggestions to go by.

The main thing I'm worried about is hiding the ring from her until I give it to her. I'm glad I decided to do it the first night we're there on top of the Empire State Building.

This isn't the exact ring, but close enough. [blue]And any volunteers to help me pay it off are welcome.[/blue]

[​IMG]

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Took my GF there the day after Thanksgiving.
    We walked from Penn Station to Central Park, and through the park to the Metropolitan.
    We saw the Empire State Building and St. Patrick's.
    We ate at Gray's Papaya and Ray's Pizza. We went by Rockefeller Center.
    It was a great day. We didn't get to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, we didn't get to Ground Zero and we didn't get to the Museum of Natural History.
    We just didn't have time. I love to walk around Manhattan. It's such a great way to experience the city. It was her first trip, so I made us walk as much as possible.
    That cut down on the number of things we could see or do.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Gorgeous ring, pbr. I'm sure she'll love it!

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Congrats on the upcoming engagement, PBR. I wish I'd had the money to take Mrs. tbf to the Big Apple to propose. Instead, she got her ring in the parking lot after I'd finished a gamer on Friday night.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

DO NOT GO TO PLACES LIKE OLIVE GARDEN, RED LOBSTER, OR OTHER SUCH CHAIN RESTAURANTS. IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THAT, YOU MIGHT AS WELL STAY HOME.

Sorry to yell, but I had to make that point.

For a really popular show that's not at TKTS, sometimes you can go to the box office and wait in line for cancellations.

One time at TKTS, I went by myself and got two free tickets to see Children of a Lesser God. The guy offered them to me, and I asked why he was giving them away. He said he bought them for him and his girlfriend at 3 pm, but they had an argument and broke up. I asked if he wanted to use one ticket to see the show, and he said no. I tried to give one ticket away, and I couldn't do it.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Immediately after the proposal, you'd better be posting details, mister.

12. Thanks man. She knows we're going on the trip, but she doesn't have a clue I have a ring. I've told her for a while now that it's going to have to wait after I graduate from college in May.

And there's nothing wrong with where you gave Mrs. tbf's ... I'm sure she was perfectly happy.

We've had this trip planned for a long time now ... booked it in May. Got a killer deal. I got four nights at the Grand Hyatt, like I mentioned earlier and it's a few blocks from Times Square, and round trip tickets for $1,500 for both of us, so $750 each.

Draft saved Draft deleted