1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Input on Big Apple vacation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Press, this talk about your trip is exciting. I heading back to the NYC for the holidays to visit family. I haven't been back since Feb. and now live in Chicago, which is nice and all, but not New York. A few places I will be visiting:

1) The Rock to go see the Christmas tree. I'm 28 and have seen it ever for the past 20 plus years.
    2) Ice skating at Wollman Rink in Central Park.
    3) Madison Square Garden to catch a doubleheader of college basketball.
    4) There is a nice Italian restaurant a few blocks north of the Lincoln Center. Don't know exactly what street, but I've been there so many times, I just know where it's at.
    5) The Empire State Building. Believe it or not, I've never been to the top. I figure since I've been to the top of the Sears Tower twice, it's time to finally visit the top of the Empire State.
    6) Does anybody know if the Nathan's in Coney Island is open year-round. Chicago has totally ruined what a hot dog should be. Sorry, Doc.
    7) The good ol' New York City subway system. Can't wait to ride a transit system that actually works.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

As far as a show -- and it's going to be tough because of the holidays -- just go to the TKTS half-price booth 15-20 minutes before show time and see what's available.

That way, you won't waste time arguing about which show to see, no doubt settling for one that you then find you can't get tickets to anyway; and you'll probably luck into one that you would have never considered but end up enjoying.

And you don't have to line up with everyone else early in the afternoon waiting for the TKTS booth to open. A lot of shows release unsold tickets late and send them over to TKTS.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A TKTS attendant told The Queen and me once that waiting was a waste of time - shows that are there early are almost always there late. So if we don't have a particular show in mind, we wander over at 7:40, grab what's there and head to a theater. Got into Dirty Rotten Scoundrels that way, along with many others.

Jersey Boys doesn't show up at TKTS yet but it is a great show. Last trip, we did Spring Awakening, Jersey Boys and Hairspray on successive nights. Quite a trifecta. All very different, enjoyed all three.

I was "in" Spelling Bee - one of the four audience members who gets to go up on stage and spell. Night of my life. I got set up as a song lead-in. My word was "Mexicans" and the real actor behind me gets a difficult word and yells, ''BALDY WITH A BEARD GETS MEXICANS AND I GET (WHATEVER)??" They then started singing about how the best speller doesn't always win.
    I stayed on stage long enough that I had to dance in one number. Those who know me will tell you just how awful a thing that is to see.

When I missed, the "consoler" gave me a hug and a juice box and the cast sang me back to my seat.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Those who made the SJ NYC outing will pimp The Perfect Pint. Especially the bisque.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

For good Chinese food, I prefer Flushing to Chinatown. However, there is a place on Market Street, I believe, near the Mahattan Bridge that has hand made noodles. The guy will be making it right there in front of you. I suggest the beef soup. Simply phenominal stuff.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Was that the more recent outing? I showed up that evening with little memory and ended it with even less.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Great story, but what if you have stage fright? Did you volunteer, or do they just pick someone at random? Because I think I'd be hiding under a seat begging not to be picked.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Indeed it was.

And I was impressed that you made it out, after the day you had!

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Perfect Pint preceded the Pastor's performance.
    I believe we had moved down the street before he stumbled strolled in

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They approach you as you enter the theater. If you are interested, they do a mini-interview. They then announce four people only five minutes before curtain, give you brief instructions and send you to your seat. You are then called onto stage.

They changed the way they did it early in the run. One guy found out about 40 minutes before curtain he was going on and proceeded to get tanked. He apparently sat there and oogled the female contestants. NY Times did a story.

I'd say they interviewed 25 people and how they came up with the four of us is a mystery. They come up with wisecracks to use on you as you make your way from the "bleachers" to the microphone.
    "Mr. Moddy recently won a battle with head lice," was one they used on me.
    One of the others was some 14-year-old kid who was pretty dorky. He goes up and they say, "Mr. (Whatever) can't wait until he's old enough to pick out his own clothes."

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

In trying to think about it... I think the Perfect Pint was where the bartender was a Celtic supporter and thus she refused to serve me. So, I don't think I have fond memories of that one. I do recall making a trip to a second location.

However, I will recommend the bar Stout. That isn't a bad place to get a pint or five.

If you would like to get some Brazilian rodizio, visit the WTC site, get on the PATH and take it straight into Newark Penn Station. Then walk a few blocks east on Ferry Street, make a right on Monroe and the place is called Brazilia. Get loaded on pitchers of sangria and eat all the meat that comes your way.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I didn't touch the bisque - not my kind of cuisine - but The Perfect Pint was outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted