1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Innovate, innovate, dance to the music

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

So if management already has turned a deaf ear to the "pissers and moaners" in the newsroom, why go through the trouble of soliciting feedback? Furthermore, if a paper goes to the trouble of hiring an outside consulting firm or hiring someone specifically to head up these initiatives, what does that say to the people who were "right-sized" out of their jobs? What does it say to those left behind and told to "work smarter, not harder?"

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

spent most of my life as a desker, actually, so i think i can speak to it honestly

when writers sit around in the bar, they generally trade funny stories, do the odd bitch session

when deskers sit in a bar, it's a full-out moan about how everyone else is shitty - stupid editors, lousy or lazy writers - and that no one understands how tough they have it

i declare these truths self-evident

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That may have been the case four score and seven years ago.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why ask for feedback? So management can justify their own jobs. They can say '"Look, we asked them, and all they did was say more money, more space for stories, more people. They're not innovative enough."

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Those who try to re-invent the wheel run in circles.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

That was clutch.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

I think I've seen this somewhere before:

Or maybe this would be better:

Draft saved Draft deleted