1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Innovate, innovate, dance to the music

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Here's an innovation for you dickheads ... let's put out a better fucking newspaper than we did yesterday. It's going to be hard, though, considering all the people you've "right-sized" recently.

I'm thankful this bullshit isn't happening (at least to this degree) at my shop ... yet.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like you ingrates and slackers despite your antiinnovate ways and disinclination toward corporate suck up speak.

So here's the innovation you take to your bosses.

You know those risque photos of cheerleaders that seedy looking photographer always passes around the sports department after shooting a high school game?

Put the photos on the web, dammit.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

What about all the pissing and moaning I read on this board about "the suits" not listening to your great ideas.

So some "suit" creates a forum for those "great ideas" to be heard, analysed and implemented, and everyone shits all over that too.

Considering the stats on the age, wage and experience of the majority of posters on the board, I'm unclear as to what qualifies any of you to think you have all the answers.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Pretty sure the response here is from people believing that their suggestions would be "heard" and nothing more.

Listened to, analyzed, implemented . . .not so much.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair, if the "suits" had written a memo saying that we need new ideas to attract and keep readers so be thinking of them and tell your boss if you have any interest in being on the innovations team" -- you know, if it had been written in English -- it probably would have gone over just fine.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

I guess that was part of my point.

Quit looking for the thing to shit on - the obviousness of the language and the "suit" from which it came - and seek out the deeper meaning.

Newsrooms - and maybe there's too many deskers on this board - are rife with pissers and moaners, so much so that management often turns a deaf ear.
    Not sure I blame them.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I understand that people in "business" communicate like this.

But when you are sending a memo to the newsroom, just make it in plain, freakin' English like you see in the newspaper everydamnday.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The problem is, papers do these initiatives all the time. There's great fanfare when they tout the latest 'innovation'. Then a year goes by, and it's time for the next big thing. Time is spent discussing this new big thing, time that could be better spent on the phone or on the streets digging up good stories. Meanwhile, jobs get cut left and right because the suits aren't making their 20 percent profit margin, and we're told that the only thing that can save us is to 'innovate'.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

When real "innovation" finally occurs, it won't be birthed by some jargon-spewing committee.
    These humbugs and their pompous twittery would be much funnier if my 30-year career weren't bleeding to death while they apply leeches and examine my skin for signs of demonic possession.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Glad you got that out of the way before I did. Mine was going to be much less erudite. Something along the lines of "Fuck you, EE."

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Are we about to have a throw down between the writers and the deskers?
    That would be awesome, though I think there are fewer of us writers.
    I can just imagine all of us snapping our fingers as we type toward each other (though that would be rather difficult to type and snap at the same time).

Draft saved Draft deleted