1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Innovate, innovate, dance to the music

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Mar 5, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

As a sidebar to the "More Corporate hossheet" thread, here's a memo to the staff from DMN boss Jim Moroney:

At the employee meeting I announced that we would be putting more emphasis on Innovation. I told you that Laura Gordon will take on a new role as Chief Innovation Officer, in addition to her role as Sr. Vice President of Marketing, to lead this effort for the organization. Given the time limitations of the meeting (or maybe just the length of my speech), what I did not have time to tell you was what I have asked Laura to accomplish and how you can help.

First, I have asked her to develop a process for evaluating and prioritizing opportunities. We simply cannot try to do everything and expect to do it all well. We will put our effort into those projects that will help us deliver our local strategy and create a sustainable advantage. In order to accomplish this, we will form a cross functional Innovation Council so that the decision to move a project forward for approval will have been reviewed cross functionally for feasibility and financial potential. Membership on the Innovation Council will change every 12 to 18 months.

The innovation team will also work with Providence and Riverside to facilitate their innovation efforts. This is an important step as we begin to develop our new A.H. Belo organization. The innovation group should be a resource for internal teams who have ideas that need to be more fleshed out or that need support for a business case. We need to get more products to market faster to build momentum.

We must bring the customer and the consumer into the process.

The innovation group should launch at least one new product idea at each property in 2008 and surface other ideas to put into 2009 planning. That means we have a lot to do in a short amount of time. This will require lots of help from throughout our organization.

There will be some staffed positions on the innovation team, but as mentioned above, there will also be some rotational positions in each department. If you are interested in participating in innovation, I would encourage you to discuss it with your manager.

I know many of you are saying, there is already so much to do, how are we going to do this in addition to what we are already doing? My answer: We really have no choice. Creating growth is essential for our future and we have a lot of skill, creativity and importantly our scale that can help us be successful. Now what we need is the focus to drive it. I am confident that with your help, Laura and her team can bring that focus. I am looking forward to our success in building an innovation practice in our company.

"We must bring the customer and the consumer into the process.''

How about treating 'em like READERS and not customers and consumers?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Greatest. Oxymoron. Ever.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I noticed that line too. So if you don't contact your manager, you're not interested in innovation?

Stupid corporate foolishness. Here's a hint suits. STOP CUTTING JOBS AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO MORE THINGS WITH YOUR PRODUCT!!!

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm not interested in innovation. What should I do?

5. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Three Dog Night just called. They want their song back.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Your manager will soon be discussing that with you.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Holy cow... My face hurts reading that one and the one from Freedom in the same 24-hour span. All they needed was the words "interface" and "synergize" and it would have been straight out of an MBA textbook.

The suits sure did fuck up what once was a noble calling, eh?

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

56 words, two sentences and no substance whatsoever. In fact, two of my brain cells just died in protest at having read that.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

business jargon bingo

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Don't forget proactive and paradigm.

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

"Innovation Council" is right up there with "Project Catalyst"

Is this what business/marketing folks do all day? Come up with pseudo-snappy names for shitty ideas?

12. captzulu

captzulu Member

It's kind of like looking for an interesting angle to a 30-point girls' basketball blowout so you can write about it without describing it as the turd it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted