1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Innocent man freed after 17 years in a first-of-its-kind hearing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Feb 18, 2010.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

So after a number of DNA exonerations in recent years the state of North Carolina set up a special agency a few years ago to review claims of actual innocence. It was given the authority to exonerate prisoners. It's a unique system in American criminal justice and yesterday, for the first time, the Innocence Inquiry Commission set a man free after deciding that there is clear and convincing evidence that he is innocent of the murder of which he was convicted. It's a pretty amazing story because this guy had long ago run out of options for appealing it within the existing system and had this commission never been set up, he would have spent the rest of his life in jail.

http://www.newsobserver.com/home/story/344803.html

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hope he's planning a nice costly lawsuit.

3. I'm eagerly awaiting the O_T brigade to show up to this thread and tell us that he was surely "guilty of something," much like the Cameron Todd Willingham case.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Only if he doesn't use the same lawyer who defended him.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Unfortunately he was. He was a drug addict, and seems to make no bones about that. Still, that's no excuse for being wrongly convicted of murder.

Gotta love the appeals system: Even if new information comes to light, you can't introduce it.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Drug addiction is not a crime.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This is awesome, I hope other states follow suit.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fewer problems would occur if posters stopped posting about how they anticipate problems while singling out certain posters.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Drug possession is.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Isn't Wake County the county where the Duke lacrosse team players were prosecuted?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

If I were him, now that I'm free, I'd lawyer up and sue the fuckers.

12. And for good reason. You are entitled to a jury of your peers. The jury at trial level gets to view the witnesses. They get to make first-hand observations about trustworthiness, etc., etc. They get to engage in the entire narrative of the trial presented by both sides, to make first-hand determinations about evidence. Appeals courts are designed to consider matters of law, not fact. You can't roll out the entire trial circus again at every level of the judicial system. They system is not designed for that. It is designed to make sure that the law was applied correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted