1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Innocence of the Muslims" and Free Speech Issues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As we see on SJ day in and day out. The government should be able to operate more like SJ.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What's incendiary about a shitty YouTube video that didn't cause the embassy & consulate attacks on September 11?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm just responding to the idea that there are no limits on the First Amendment.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And I don't disagree. But my point is that a shitty YouTube video that didn't incite anyone doesn't rise to that level.

5. Boom_70

If it did we need to get rid of You Tube.

6. Boom_70

Yankee Fan is like Al Qaeda . He just keeps showing up when you don't expect it.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to discuss government actions, without making it into a partisan political squabble -- especially because a Republican administration would likely be doing the same thing.

I'm not criticizing the President so much as I am uncomfortable with the precedent it sets.

Our Government is charged with securing our rights. It shouldn't be involved in undermining them. And, there's no reason for any Government entity to have an official position on any movie.

If a Government official wants to make their personal opinion known, that's ok. But they should not put the weight of our Government behind their statements.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, mentioned in the LA Time op-ed.

But, do we just some hold otherwise harmless speech hostage by threatening violence if they are exposed to it?

You're not entitled to live your life un-offended.

And, even if their is speech that is inciting some to violence, it's not the movie, it's the people rallying people to violence because of the movie. The movie itself does nothing to incite people.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Just being concerned.

Very very concerned.

Wait until it is finally revealed who's REALLY behind the whole thing, in hopes of igniting a October Surprise Mideast Iran-hostage type crisis to wrap around Obama's neck:

[​IMG]

Remember, in the "47% Tapes" Mittsy Boy said he would be Ready and Eager to take advantage of just such an opportunity.

And wasn't it remarkable, and conveeenient, how fast Team Mitt had a canned response ready to go the very instant reports of embassy violence came out?

Yes, very remarkable and convenient as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is by no means a violation of the First Amendment for the government to say it believes an article of speech sucks. Since the governments of almost all the countries where these protests have occurred control political speech, pointing out that in the U.S. the government doesn't is simply sound foreign policy -- even if it excites the paranoia of the more fanatic elements of American politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.