1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Are those your grandsons?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

http://thebiglead.com/?p=2996

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

My uncles, Hammer

4. Wow, I finally agree with Shotglass on something. :D

I have this happen to me all the time on the newsside. I bite my tongue - and for me that's not easy. I'm convinced I would have probably got my head kicked in a couple of times had I not. Still, you need to be the professional here. The guy's in a bad mood because he helped drive the last few nails in the Phillies' coffin. Just walk away.

Many many times the source will come back and apologize later.

The reporter sounds like an egotistical ass to me who can't take a little verbal abuse because he thinks too much of himself. And "Spell retarded" is hardly a great retort.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Unfortunately, the KYW audio has been taken down.
    But just reading the transcript, the writer went way over the line when he pointed at Myers and said "You're the fucking idiot."
    As soon as Myers called him retarded, he sholuld have just walked away. It's called being a professional.

6. http://www.bugsandcranks.com/philadelphia-phillies/brett-myers-blows-the-game-screams-obscenities-at-reporter/

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks shopper, that audio works now.

And it makes Carchidi sound even worse than the transcript shows.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Again, I ask, would you discipline Carchidi?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No.

EDIT: Never mind. I just listened to the audio. Yes, along the lines of spnited's suggestion.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I would...never steps foot again in the Phillies clubhouse.

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Myers initially sounded like he was being a prick, but not an angry prick.

I'm admittedly a little unsure of what's up for debate here. If a waiter behaved like that to a snooty customer, he'd be shown the door by his manager. Same with most professions.

I agree with what someone on here said earlier: When you wear your paper's ID lanyard around your neck, that's who you're representing. Prove that you're a badass on your own time.

Plus (and this is just me), if I'm an SE sending a young writer to a Major League game as a fill-in, I'm likely to be much, much more impressed if it gets back to me that one of baseball's biggest mouth breathers popped off and the kid kept his cool.

12. Excuse me.
    Being a reporter in the locker room is the equivalent of being a waiter?
    THAT'S professional?
    Wha?

Draft saved Draft deleted