1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Aug 26, 2007.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The reporter was entitled to fire back the minute the jock said "retarded." He would have been better off, though, just letting it go.

As for rationalizing that the two home run balls were "pop ups," lets get real. A pop up is something that the second baseman or shortstop might catch if they took four steps backwards. The only way these "pop ups" were going to get caught was if the outfielders had ladders and an assist from the beer vendors.

There's a difference between pop ups and medium-deep to deep fly balls.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have no problem with the reporter pushing Myers on the pop-up comment.
    But when Myers goes off, all the reporter has to do is say "Thanks, Brett," and walk away without escalating the situation.

Been there, done that.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, because you so often show restraint here when provoked. :D

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I ain't here on business, I'm only here for fun

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Then why are you wearing a tie?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A BOW tie, no less. ;)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

[​IMG]

8. markvid

markvid Guest

ENTITLED?
    I hope you're being sarcastic.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'd pay to be in the clubhouse if said reporter returns to cover another game. I've been in a pro locker room a day after a somewhat similar circumstance, and it was ugly.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I will say this after listening to the audio: Myers really is a first-class prick. Second, the way Carchidi says, "how do you spell retard" is so awesome, because he doesn't change his delivery, and it just appears to get Myers' dickhead motor going.
    But, with all that said, Carchidi should have walked away after he made that comment, when a third party (PR person?) notices the rift and starts to say 'tirade'
    Personally, I would've just eaten the insult and found a way to crucify Myers in print.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

No, I stand by "entitled." Yeah, the reporter really should be hanging in there and acting completely professional, but words have a way of hurting. Someone throws out "retarded" at me and I'm going to drop the figurative gloves. That's really an uncalled for remark.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, I think we all can admit the BEST thing to do is to walk away after he calls you a retard.

But the "how do you spell retard" line is a classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted