1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Aug 26, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm thinking some people here would have applauded Carchidi giving Myers a hotfoot on his way out.

P.S. Myers' apology just moved on AP.

2. Paper should now make the reporter apologize as well.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'll repeat what I said earlier, since I think it got glossed over.

The reporter blew it before the "retard" remark. He incited Myers by essentially poking fun at him for him for saying the homers were "popups." Anyone who has been covering ball for 30 years ought to know that there are players who don't hold themselves accountable and make excuses. You just write what they say and print it.

The whole situation never would have occurred if the reporter had just taken the original quote on its face instead of baiting Myers with "You really think those were popups?"

How would this look?

Player: I think I pitched pretty well, even though I lost.
    Reporter: I think you pitched terribly.

That's essentially what this exchange came down to. If you take a jerk like Myers and put him in this situation, that's what you're going to get.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yeah, I said the same thing earlier as well. It was at best an unnecessary question and at worst an attempt to get under Myers' skin. Either way, Carchidi shouldn't have been surprised that Myers got pissy. However, I don't think it's our job to just sit back and accept whatever verbal abuse athletes dish out. If Myers had just said, that's a stupid question, that would have been one thing. But once he makes it personal with the retard and the backup writer stuff, I don't have a problem with Carchidi standing up for himself. If i were his SE I would tell Carchidi that he was just as much at fault as Myers was, tell him to drop the demand for an apology bullshit, and get back to work. No way would I suspend him.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

God, I shouldn't do this but...

After watching that video it is clear both children deserve a friggin' timeout. In the parlance of my folks: You're grounded for a week. :mad:

But of the two, I just want to slap the reporter for being such a whiny little doofus.

Sorry for getting personal but just shut up already.

6. Notepad

Notepad Member

Herein (this whole incident) is exactly why Carchidi has been a sportswriter for 30 years and still covers preps.

7. look, carchidi is a pro

did he mess up?

yeah, he messed up

although I can't say I wouldn't have reacted the same way

but he's taking some unfair shots here. the guy's a good, dogged reporter, whether he's covering schools or backing up on pro beats and he doesn't deserve some of this

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And covering preps for 30 years is a bad thing now? Some of the best writers I've worked with have been on preps for a long, long time and have never wanted to do anything else. A prep writer isn't what I wanted to be for my entire career. But if I were, I wouldn't think it's because of my attitude or because I'm not a good reporter.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Thank you. My bosses tried to "promote" me and finally had to yank me off preps. Endured some of the most demanding assignments -- and most rewarding -- of my career running the prep ship back in the day.

I love what I'm doing now but there are still certain times of the year when I miss preps.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I thought of being off preps was a promotion, too, and I still do (as was discussed in another thread). But it's not a universal thing. There are some very rewarding things that come from covering high school athletics, especially when state championships come around.

11. Notepad

Notepad Member

I just don't think anyone who ever went to college to study journalism ever said, "You know, I'd love to cover preps my whole career."
    Think what you will, and yeah there are some great guys covering preps, but we ALL know the best writers at a paper such as the Inky aren't covering preps.

PS- I demand an apology!

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're not getting one from me. But nice try.

Draft saved Draft deleted