1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Injuries and McNabb and Vick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Anybody can get injured in football. It's a rough and demanding game. No one is immune.

Back to the question at hand, neither Philly nor Atlanta have been blessed with great offenses. Atlanta can outrun anybody, but their receivers are ordinary at best. Philly isn't really blessed with great players in the backfield or at wide receiver. As a quarterback, your job is to do the most with what's been given to you. So far, McNabb has done more. Way more.

And don't anybody come back with saying how electric Vick is. McNabb has had many electric plays in his career, too. Most notably, the pass a couple years ago at Dallas on Monday Night Football.

Vick has potential, but McNabb is proven. The injury may hinder McNabb's mobility next season and beyond, but he'll be able to adjust because he's the better quarterback.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

To say Vick has potential is bull shit.
    A 6th year player with 10,000 yards passing 64 TDs and 3,500 yards rushing with 21 TDs is WAY beyond potential. He's a veteran QB in the Prime of his career.

Michael Vick is not who we thought he was, he is what he is. An inaccurate, not particularly gifted passer or play caller. Someone who is only as good as his surrounding teammates and someone who is quicker than all defensive lineman and all most every linebacker, and a QB who has no qualms about leaving the pocket and running, quickly and often. Someone who would rather run for 12 yards then pass for 20.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

All things Vick right here.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/33634/

4. Freelance Hack

But he's a young sixth year player. Hell, he just turned 26 in June. (For comparison, Brady's 29, Manning's 30 and McNabb's turning 30 this week). To me, that's still young. He has a lot of time left. That's why I used the word potential.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Check McNabb's stats thru his 6th year, he was a much more accomplished QB at the similar stage of their careers. And McNabb progressed thru his career. Vick has not demonstrated an ability to get better, in fact, it seems as if he is reluctant to mature as a player. It's as if he is incapable of being coached, accepting coaching or maturing.

6. Freelance Hack

Having someone catch the ball would help, too. The only competent receiver Vick has is Alge Crumpler and he's not really a deep threat. While McNabb's never been blessed woth tremendous wide outs (TO aside), the talent surrounding McNabb in the passing game has been better.

Again, I think McNabb is way better than Vick, but Vick can improve if Atlanta makes serious upgrades to its passing game.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Outing alert: Shottie is Rush Limbaugh :)

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is what happens when they let negros play quarterback. ::) ::)

9. Freelance Hack

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that. :)

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah. That too. ;)

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Give me a break. Go back and look at who McNabb was throwing to before Owens showed up. Freddie Mitchell? Todd Pinkston? James Thrash?

McNabb did more with just as little -- if not less -- to work with as Vick in the way of receivers.

Draft saved Draft deleted