1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Injured while covering a game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by littlehurt98, Jan 14, 2009.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I tried searching for a similar a topic but did not see one. So, if this has been discussed before I apologize.

While covering a prep basketball game tonight I was pretty much laid out by one of the kids diving after a loose ball. The school I was at is one of our four city schools (we have about 30-35 other schools that we provide some sort of coverage to at some point during the year, but the city schools come first) and so that being said I had a spot at the press table.

The table isn't very big and isn't designed for more than 2-3 people to sit at, but usually when I show up someone will grab me a chair and allow my to use a corner or something.

Anyway in the third quarter at the 2:13 mark a loose ball comes right us, as do three kids attempting to dive after it. Wouldn't you know the one that smashes into me is a fullback/linebacker on the football team (6-4, 230lb). I take a shoulder right in the bicep and basically get pushed up against the press table.

It hurt, but didn't think much of it at the time. Finished the game and went back to the shop and wrote the story. When I got home tonight I discovered a massive bruise on my bicep and thigh.

Just wondering who else has stories similar to this? I know this board has to have some.

2. So you logged the time you got hurt? Did it make your game notes?

Sit in the stands with the single moms next time. Copy the book after the game, you don't need to sit there unless you want to be seen.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Haven't been hurt since I don't go right up to the sidelines when I cover a game. For basketball, I like to sit up a few rows so I can see the game.

4. bob

bob Member

Reminds me of the time Charles Barkley dove over the press table, laying me out on the floor. My chair was mangled but, miraculously, I didn't feel a thing. I even helped him up.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Never been injured while covering a game, but I did see a TV guy's camera get smashed by a soccer ball because said TV guy was standing six inches off the touchline.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It turns out he was in a hurry to get a BJ in the third row.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was covering a minor-league baseball game as an intern and was the only person in the press box after the PR guy left. After I filed, I discovered I was locked in the stadium. This was before I had a cell phone. I spent about an hour looking for someone to let me out or find the lowest fence for me to climb. Finally, I found one that was about 8-9 feet high and had less barb wire than the other fences. I climbed up once and lowered my laptop to the ground. I didn't want to break the Trash-80 they had loaned me.

I then realized I would have to scale the fence and jump to avoid the barb wire and then fall the rest of the way. I avoided it on the jump, but the wire caught my leg as I was coming down and I got a pretty bad cut down my leg (I was wearing shorts.) and thankfully only injured my ankle a little as I landed.

I was so embarrassed that I told no one what happened. Needless to say, that was the last time I stayed to work from that press box.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got a story pretty similar to that, only I scaled a fence to get behind the minor league team's wall in order to grab about 25 Eastern League baseballs. My buddy still has most of them. It was a fun night.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was on the sidelines at a high school football game when the opposing team ran a sweep to my side. I began backing up as he got closer, but several players had found their way behind me and I couldn't go anywhere.

As the tailback barrelled to the sideline, a defensive player horse-collared him, causing him to fall backwards as he was coming right at me and his spikes came flying up. I leaped as high as I could and opened my legs to avoid his cleats (I swear it was like Vince Carter dunking over Frederic Weiss).

I came down on top of the two players, got up, helped them up, got a swat on the head from the RB who said, "Nice air," and went back about my business. It wasn't until I sat in my car later that I saw the big hole he tore high on my inner thigh with his cleats. If I had jumped a couple inches shorter, it might have been my sack with that big tear in it.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

had my knee serve as a target several years ago by a h.s. kid going full steam trying to turn the corner for the end zone. i could hear the other sideliners scurrying to safety but i wanted the damn shot. hurt like hell and still think the kid should've been flagged for roughness for a hit clearly out of bounds (kidding). but it was a damn good photo.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dennis Rodman once came flying over the press table at The Palace, knocked Perry Ferrell out cold and destroyed his laptop.
    One and only game story Mitch Albom has ever written at the Freep.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Was Cindy there?

Draft saved Draft deleted