1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

injured knee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 6, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rub some dirt on it and get on with your life. Nancy boy.

2. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I agree with a few of the previous posters and that it's probably a torn meniscus. Something similar happened to me sophomore year in HS during wrestling. The only thing is this: don't wait four years to actually get it fixed. Makes life uncomfortable as the days pass.

The procedure is fairly simple. They put you under for an hour, so the chances you'll get sick from the anesthetic are low. It'll throb a little the first day, but you should be off crutches in three days, maybe less. Once you complete a rehab program, invest in a good knee brace (I recommend Don-Joy) if you still want to continue playing rugby. Best bet, though, is to give up the days on the pitch and if you're really missing it, take up flag-football. PM me if you have any more questions.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"It might be a tumor."

"It's not a tooo-muh."

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The thing that hurts the most is getting in and out of a car. Stairs are OK.
    It hurts when I try to fully straighten it or move the knee inward.
    As far as a doctor goes, I have two choices: 1). Try to get an appointment with my primary care physician, who will then refer me to an orthopedist ($10 copay) or 2). Go to an emergency room ($50 co-pay) and be referred to an orthopedist.
    I'm leaning toward the ER option.
    The way I was raised was that you don't go running to the doctor for every little thing. It was only as a last resort.
    When I was younger I had allergies and when I came home from college they hit me pretty hard. I remember one Thanksgiving when I couldn't breathe just two hours after getting home. Everyone in my family had allergies so their response was: Whatever you have I've had 50 times worse so suck it up. Just take some over-the-counter stuff.
    People who saw me wondered why I'd go to work at my temp job and why I didn't see a doctor. I'd be coughing and gasping for air and saying "Not..until...it's absolutely...necessary."
    I guess I'm better off for having been brought up that way, but sometimes I wonder.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If it doesn't flex all the way, it's probably a torn meniscus - you need to have it scoped if you want range of motion within hailing distance of 100 percent.
    I tore my meniscus AND ACL a few years ago playing beach volleyball - you could hear the pop all the way down the beach. Funny thing was, it didn't hurt that bad (at least until it became stiff an unmoveable the next morning). Within a couple of days, when the swelling went down, I was off crutches, but then, trying to push up a window...YOWWWW! Back on crutches for awhile, until a few days before surgery. The MRI showed I had sprained my MCL, which oddly, was much more painful then my torn ACL.
    I had my meniscus taken out, but opted not to have full ACL reconstruction (age, and not having a physical job). I did intense PT for a month, and within less than four months, could do everything I had in the gym before the injury. I played beach volleyball again exactly a year later (and no longer use the brace - too cumbersome). The only real effects almost six years later are being careful when I kneel, and I can't really kick with that leg.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A few more notes:

There is no such thing as a simple procedure.
    No need for a general anesthetic necessarily. Spinal and sedation may work too.
    Rehab depends upon on how solid you were beforehand and how much you want to work to get back. Remember that Phillip Rivers played 6 days after arthroscopy; absolutely amazing.
    The goal for most sports medicine docs is to get the patient back to his/her favorite activity. People should aim to get back to their pre-injury life.

7. Smallpotatoes

I'm seeing my primary care guy this afternoon. I have to miss a baseball game I was planning on covering, but it was the only time available.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"Rub some Windex on it." (Chris Rock)

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Tussin, not Windex.

I think you are confusing Chris Rock with My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Happens to us all at one point or another.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Pour some water in it, shake it up, more tussin.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When you twisted your knee did you hear a pop or feel like a rubber band snapping in your knee?

If something snapped its a torn ligament. If it popped that would be your meniscus.

I wrecked both playing basketball last year; here are two ways to know what you have torn or injured.

Stand up and try to stretch your leg/quad by reaching and grabbing your foot and bringing it up towards your butt. If it folds as well as your good leg, your meniscus should be alright.

Try to do a stationary jump. If you can barely get off the ground with your bad leg it is ligament damage.

12. Smallpotatoes

The primary care guy said the ligaments seem OK. Suggested ice, then heat after a few days. If it's still bothering me, see the orthopedic guy.
    I asked about activity and he said as long as there's no pain in the joint, I can do it.
    I think I'll take a week or two off from rugby, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted