1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

injured knee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose if you play rugby long enough it's bound to happen.
    I played the second half of an old boys game today (over-35). About a minute into the 25-minute half, in the second scrum, the scrum collapses. I'm in the front row. I twist my knee. Immediately, I know something is wrong, but I figure if something is really wrong, I wouldn't even be able to walk. I'm able to finish the game. It hurts a little, but not much. I can run on it. I can push off on it in scrums and rucks. I made a few tackles. I don't even say a word about being hurt until after the game is over. I test it out with a few squats after the game and it's all right, though getting in and out of a car hurts. When I get home, I take iboprofen and put ice on it while keeping it elevated.
    Now it really hurts. It seemed weird that it didn't bother me much during the game. Could that have just been adrenaline? It hurts on the bone to the left of my right kneecap. I figure it's a strain, but could it be something worse?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just get a 12-pack of Coors, a razor and a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and go digging. You'll figure out what's wrong soon enough.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Once you've tried Angola's plan, go get an MRI. You can walk and perform on a torn ACL or MCL. It's not like a broken leg. You need to get it checked out.

I obliterated my knee skiing my senior year in high school. My parents would just leave me with a bag of ice on the couch, and finished the vacation. When we got home my mom finally took me to a doctor, and I will never forget the absolute derision in the doc's face when he talked to my mother. My kneecap was broken, the entire structure torn to shreds. Yet I got around.

So, yeah, go see someone.

4. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Like AB said, get that checked out. Knees are weird in that some people get around great on and torn ACL, while others can't walk with a sprain. My hope for your sake is that the pain on the inside of your knee is a sprained MCL, which would be 4-6 weeks of rehab and no surgery, but definitely get it checked out to be safe. Best of luck

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If you tore something, any swelling that is present is helping to keep it from feeling loose. It could still be jacked up. I'm sure adrenaline helped get you through the match.

When you go see a doctor (which you need to do), be prepared to answer these questions:

Did you hear something pop?
    Did you feel something pop?
    Is there a pain on one side or the other? Front or back? Above the kneecap or below?
    Is the pain piercing, dull, constant, come-and-go?

Good luck. I've been there, and it sucks.

6. Depending on the severity of the pain, it could be a torn meniscus or a partially torn MCL. I had a slight tear in my MCL a couple years ago and was able to walk on it for a few weeks until finally I was too annoyed with the pain. I went to the doctor and had a MRI taken on it which showed the small tear and they had me wear this immobilizer for a couple weeks and had me use crutches to keep off it. Afterwards my knee was fine, although it still bothers me some three years later.

7. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

That doesn't sound like an ACL tear, but you've got to get to a doctor and get checked out. I tore mine playing racquetball, and knew instantly that my knee had just bent in a way it shouldn't bend. Within a few hours, my knee was locked up from swelling but I could still walk on it if I sort of side-stepped. I walked around with a torn ACL for nine months, and fortunately all I made worse was a bunch of scar tissue they were able to clean out during surgery. The doc told me I could have easily done a lot of cartilege damage too. Don't be a tough guy on this, get it checked out.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Atta kid.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Possibly a torn meniscus (sp?) Weird injury - one day the pain will be almost unbearable, a day later there's virtually no pain. I went 7 months before having surgery when I tore mine.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If it's a torn meniscus, the next time you jump and the loose piece catches between the bones, you'll feel it. Serious pain.

As others have said, you can walk and sometimes even run in a straight line, on a torn ACL. It's cutting and quick stop-starts that you'll notice it.

But either way, get it checked. It might be a slight tear that becomes a full-blown rupture the next time you ding it. Then you're either looking at surgery with a six-month rehab or living the rest of your life without a major ligament.

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A few notes:

Intra-articular injuries (those within the joint) cause swelling of the knee. ACL tears swell within minutes while meniscal or cartilage tears may take a few hours. the knee has its most space at 15 degrees of flexion. Fully straightening the knee may cause significant pain since fluid doesn't compress (see how hydraulics work).

The ability to weight bear and walk mean that the tendons that move the joint work, nothing more.

Rest, ice, elevate and anti-inflammatories may be all that is needed for a sprain.

Rushing to get an MRI may be overkill. If your doc can appropriately examine a knee, the diagnosis may be evident.

Questions often asked include whether pain occurs with going up or down stairs, if there is giving way, if popping or grinding occurs among others.

12. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Cowboy up, Dude.

And listen to the good Doc (above). Best decision I ever made was not to have the surgery in the early '70s. 30 years later there are some mornings when getting out of bed is not for sissies (so I stay in bed). But on the whole the quality of life is still good.

Time to give up rugby Ol' Timer. Take up drinking full time. Trust me, it's more satisfying.

Draft saved Draft deleted