1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inititial reaction: TJ has JD's back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 12, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Surprised by the tone of this column...at first...but then again, JD did donate a lot of money to TJ's pet charity, if memory serves...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers12nov12,1,2690443.column?coll=la-utilities-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Eh. It was an OK column. I took umbrage at Simers' line of "Around the Screaming Horn" because rarely is there screaming like there is on PTI. As for Drew ... well, as a Dodgers fan he didn't live up to superstar status. Nice numbers, yes. And no one in the game runs the bases prettier; his arcs from home to 3rd base on a triple or 1st base to 3rd or home are so efficient, so beautiful to watch. Oh well. The Dodgers will find someone new.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

He homered in the Dodgers' four-homer comeback against the Padres, but he had the quietest 100-RBI season imaginable. If Drew gets more than $33 million for the next three years somewhere else, more power to him.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

As many runners as he left on base in the NLDS, I'm glad to see him go.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Say what you will about J.D. Drew, but remember this:

He was money whenever there was one on with no outs in the 8th inning of an 11-0 game. :p

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I think moments ago, he just grounded out again.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Between Drew and Garrett Anderson, Southern California had baseball's two most emotionless guys for the last two years.

I think $11 mil a year was a pretty damn good payday for J.D. Drew, who I respect as a player. Not knowing that figure, I would have guessed he'd be worth $8-10 mil in free agency this season. I'm guessing that's too low considering all we know.

8. Registered_Muser

Registered_Muser New Member

To understand TJ's take, you've got to read this one:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-plaschke10nov10,1,5611158.column?coll=la-headlines-sports-columnists

Plaschke basically said good riddance (which I agree with, by the way). TJ, being his usual contrarian self, was aiming this one at his fellow columnist.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Leaving $33M on the table? You gotta be kidding me.

Absolute lunacy.

I hope this is Boras' Waterloo moment. No way anyone else would pay Drew that kind of jack for 3 years. And no way any player should allow the Baseball Antichrist to talk him into believing anyone would.

Boras is the emperor and the dog is ripping his clothes off the clothesline as we speak.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Actually, someone will pay Drew more jack for more years. This is a market where a dog like Aramis Ramirez gets $75 million guaranteed with a no-trade clause and an opt-out.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Drew on the Giants? Angels? Padres?

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

He looks like a Theo Epstein player to me. Better on paper than in reality.

Draft saved Draft deleted