1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Initial Pro Football Hall of Fame Candidates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is Harrison on a level where he'll get in on the first ballot? Statistically, he'll probably look better than the guys who have been waiting forever, and obviously he'll eventually get in, but I'll be curious if he's seen as a first-ballot guy, or someone who will have to wait 2-3 years.

2. Why is Jerry Jones a lock?
    He fired Tom Landry.
    Yes, his teams won three super bowls and were pretty dominant in the early 1990s.
    But after he got rid of Jimmy Johnson, the franchise kinda went to shit. Even with the tenure of Parcells. They have been a mediocre team for about 15 years. When was the last time they were considered a favorite to make it to the Super Bowl?
    Yeah he built a new stadium with a humongous jumbtron at mid-field (for whatever that's worth), but stadium issues have also resulted in the death of how many people?

I agree the bar should be set pretty high for owners and I'm not sure Jones - solely on the face of ownership meets the standard.
    Bob Kraft in the HOF. Yes.
    Jerry Jones? No.

That said... I have no doubt he'll get in, because he's the high-profile owner of the Dallas Cowboys.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Jerry hired Jimmy Johnson, so he should get credit for those Super Bowls. The Cowboys haven't done shit on the field in more than 15 years but are still one of the most debated franchises largely because of the marketing expertise of Jones. The guy brought a level of marketing to the NFL that had never been seen. Jerry Jones the GM doesn't sniff the Hall, but Jerry Jones the owner should be a slam dunk. If you look at it in terms of on-field performance, Jones doesn't belong. If you look at it from a business perspective, what he's done for the team and the league is absolutely deserving.

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

If Harrison gets in on the first ballot and Tim Brown fails to get in, then something is seriously wrong. And as I say that as a Denver Bronco fan, the type of fan that mocks everything to do with the Oakland Raiders.

And, yes, as a Bronco fan, I go to bat for Terrell Davis. Short career, yes, but he was so dominant when he was out there. Also go to bat for Tom Nalen and Steve Atwater.

I won't go to bat as much for Rod Smith, though. He was very good but I never saw him as one of the absolute best at his position from season to season.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Firing Tom Landry was a bad thing?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Trent Green is a candidate for the Hall of Fame? Seriously? Not even the Hall of Pretty Good, IMO.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/yds_from_scrimmage_career.htm

Warrick Dunn is 17th all-time in yards from scrimmage. He should at least make this cut.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Fo
    I'd be shocked if Harrison doesn't wait. And if he doesn't, then the committee should be roasted for how they have treated receivers for the last 15 years.

Maybe if Harrison was the first-ballot guy with no strong holdover candidates at his position. But he will be going up against both (although I can't see Walter Jones getting in on the first ballot because they put in 2 first-time linemen last year and Shields is next in the waiting line).

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

The Hall is about 90 percent too big. Yes, 90 percent. If that weren't obvious, the presence of Trent Green on this list proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

From an owner standpoint, I'd be shocked if Kraft or Jones made the semifinals. They will get there eventually.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A complete non-issue since he might not even be allowed in with a ticket.

Draft saved Draft deleted