1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Initial 2013 Football Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Not much feeling that Bailey has ever been great enough to put a team or even a unit on his shoulders and carry them.

He couldn't elevate the '08 team, which was one of the worst defensive teams in the last quarter-century.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Can any corner lift a defense in the modern nfl? I am not trying to knock your argument by any corner means because it is accurate, but i just wonder with the current rules can a cb shut down like a sanders or rod woodson did?
    Can a corner actually do that in the current nfl? I am not knocking your arguement by any means becau

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I think we saw yesterday how shitty that team and defense looked without Revis.

FWIW, I think Bailey is an easy Hall of Famer, though don't know how well that speaks of pass defense in the modern era.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Fair enough.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Put it this way, the '08 Broncos allowed opposing quarterbacks to compile a 98.5 rating. Only the 0-16 Lions, coming up statistically with the worst pass defense in NFL history, were worse at 110.8. Now that 2008 season was an unusually bad year for run defense and pass defense. You can check the numbers. Bad for run defense probably because it was the year the Wildcat was unveiled. But you would think a future Hall of Fame corner would have some appreciable effect on a unit to where it wouldn't rank among the worst pass defenses in league history.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Bailey battled a torn groin in 08 and only played in 9 games

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

He played more than half the season.

That team's offense was so good, all it needed was two or three guys on defense to do their jobs and they would have won nine or 10 games. They only missed the playoffs at 8-8 on a tiebreaker. The defense forced 13 turnovers all season. They sucked. They really sucked.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You can't hold Champ Bailey responsible for the 08 Broncos defensive shortcomings. He missed all of seven games and most of another. And that defense was so atrocious against the run teams didn't have to make many high pressure throws at all. That year they allowed 140+ yards rushing 9 times, 200 yards three times. Opponents averaged 5.0 ypc for the season.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Oh? Then why did the pass defense still finish 26th? That is cumulative.

The corners in the Hall of Fame did not play for historically bad defenses.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

26th in pass defense for one season is historically bad? I think you need a lesson in the what historically means. Yes they were shit, losing their top player for half the season was probably one reason.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Don't attribute stupid conclusions to anyone other than the person who draws them. Which would be you, in this case.

The pass defense in yards allowed and other weighted metrics ranks it as one of the worst ever. Don't be dense.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I suppose we'll have to take your word for it. It was such a putrid pass defense that teams rushed for 2300 yards against them. Sounds like a pretty bad defense all around.

Draft saved Draft deleted