1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Initial 2013 Football Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

None of this means anything until government money casts Joe Namath out. [combined threads]

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was an awesome owner. The players loved him. The coaches loved him.

I don't know... I just think there's a difference between being a great owner and being a Hall of Fame owner.

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Cole cited 11 owners or founders in Canton. Halas, Lambeau and Brown are in as much for their coaching achievements. Davis, Hunt, Rooney and the Maras changed the face of the league. I just don't see Kraft as their peer.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agree with this. I think Shields was the best athlete of the four. Roaf had amazing feet and mobility for a tackle. My memories of Allen and Ogden is of them over-powering people with their strength.

Meatie Pie brought up Richmond Webb. Interesting. My recollection is Webb was damn near as good a tackle as Roaf and Ogden, but I'm not sure he did it for as long a period of time.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

IIRC, Webb and Keith Sims were a pretty good tandem.

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

With rare exception, Marino's linemen have not gotten the respect they deserve because of his quick release and the absence of a star running back in that period. Webb faced Bruce Smith twice a year (sometimes three times) and Willie McGinest twice a year at his peak.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Just to clarify: Webb and Sims played next to one another. Not a tackle tandem. Last I heard, Sims owns and operates some donut stores in the Miami area.

8. Mizzougrad96

Webb was great, but I'm not sure he's on the same level as Roaf, Ogden, Shields and Allen... I'm pretty sure he's never been a HOF finalist.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Allen was overpowering. He was also damn fast and they pulled him often. IIRC, Ogden actually has more Pro Bowls and All-Pros than Allen, but I think they were each the best at their position during their era.

To remind everyone of Allen's nimbleness afoot:

10. Mizzougrad96

I'd love it if the six inducted were Shields, Ogden, Allen, Bettis, Sabol and one of the receivers, probably Reed...

It won't happen that way though...

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Off topic and I could be completely wrong, but didn't one of the Vikings punch Allen in the balls on Monday Night Football?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Keenan McCardell and Ben Coates ... they could still surprise ya!

Draft saved Draft deleted