1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Initial 2013 Football Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

And yet fans and pundits are all too willing to hang the full value of wins and losses on a quarterback.

I hardly see the difference.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Are you? And if not, why are you doing it to a cornerback?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A quarterback has way more influence on most games than a cornerback.

You can come up with every faux statistic in the world to try to turn football into a computer simulation that says otherwise, and that statement is still true.

4. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

"Most games"? Which would be the exception? The ones where he doesn't deserve full blame or credit?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I have seen a lot more games in which the quarterback's play impacted the game positively or negatively more than a cornerback's. That doesn't mean I haven't seen games in which a DB got toasted two or three times, and it was the difference.

Not coincidentally, quarterbacks handle the ball on nearly every offensive play. A cornerback might come into play on only a few defensive plays a game.

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

You need to watch All-22 film sometime. I'm sure you understand the coverage itself dictates what the quarterback does to begin with.

This has gone circular.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would think Bailey and Woodson are locks.

Draft saved Draft deleted