1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inglorious Basterds

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing it. Thought it was outstanding (though as others have said, it did take a while to warm up).

Christoph Waltz (Landa, AKA "The Jew Hunter") is the clubhouse leader for this year's Best Supporting Actor Oscar. He was a slimy sunofabitch in four different languages.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

this thread is making me drool evermore. read so much about the movie, how it was 10 years in the making, how qt said he wouldn't have made the movie without chris waltz walking through the door, interviews with pitt and co. ... this thread!

still got 2 days to go till i see it.

3. Steak Snabler

One thing I meant to throw out there (and this might be considered a minor spoiler, so I'll space down a bit before asking):

But has anyone else ever heard of the "number 3 sign" being different in German? I dated a girl all through college who was a German major (and consequently, spent a lot of time around German exchange students) and had never heard that.

Just a fascinating bit of trivia that I'm sure QT heard somewhere and jotted down, looking for the right place to stick it in one of his movies ...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I haven't seen the movie yet -- spoilers don't bother me that much -- but what do you mean by "number 3 sign"?

(I took German for three years in college, so I might be able to help. But not sure what that's in reference to.)

5. Steak Snabler

When you or I or someone who speaks English wants to indicate the number 3, we use the index, middle and ring fingers. Germans apparently use the thumb, index and middle fingers.

This:

[​IMG]

as opposed to this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, can't say I've ever seen that before. Maybe Football_Bat knows.

Any Earnhardt fans from Deutschland? :D

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How do Germans signify the Shocker?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Painfully.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't know how they do it in Germany ...

... but this is how ve do it in Austria, Dr. Jones.

[​IMG]

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here's something on the 3-finger "salute," which seems to be an ancient Serb gesture:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Three-finger_salute_%28Serbian%29

Also, this guy explains it (in Croatian). The 50-second mark is interesting because he says that the open 3-finger salute means bad things are happening.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I really hope no one is on here that hasn't seen the movie and minds spoilers because two of the biggest Holy Shit moments and clues have been revealed on this thread.

12. Steak Snabler

That's interesting, xan, though that's not the context in which it's used in the movie. I hesitate to say more, because it's a pretty major plot point (and I'm not sure if you've seen it yet or not).

Draft saved Draft deleted