1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inglorious Basterds

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Kill Bill conflicts me. I thought Part I was awesome, his best work, and an homage to the many film styles and movies that influence him, many of them extremely obscure by public standards.

Detailed stuff like having the sky orange when Uma Thurman flies to Okinawa. That's lifted directly from Goke, Body Snatcher From Hall, a Japanese sci-fi movie from the 60s, which is a really good film despite its Z-movie title.

I thought Part II was a massive letdown considering how good Part I was.

I don't know how I feel about Inglorious Basterds. I hope it doesn't go down the road of his Grindhouse Death Proof feature, which was self-indulgent as all get out.

And I don't like his being attached to Eli Roth at the hip for the last several years either. Roth can't hold Tarantino's jock when Tarantino applies himself, but sometimes, Tarantino drags himself down to the level of his buddies ... he's guilty of this with Robert Rodriguez too.

And I'm wary of how Tarantino described it as an homage to spaghetti westerns. While he's influenced greatly by spaghetti's, his own style is much different.

All that said, Mrs. Bubbler is headed out of town with the kids this weekend, and since she would never see this in a million years, I just might.

Also, I put the over/under at the Tarantino female barefoot scene at 32 minutes.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thought Tarantino got the spaghetti western homage out of his system with Kill Bill's second half.

Death Proof was indeed self-indulgent. Planet Terror was no better. The trailers (especially "Machete" and "Thanksgiving") were the best part of Grindhouse.

Just now local TV had a "making of" hype show about Basterds. Brad Pitt talked about the "chapters" of the movie as if it were an original idea. Has he SEEN Tarantino's other work? If this movie had a completely linear narrative, that would be the surprise.

I don't know why; maybe it's the Brad Pitt accent and character (Ok, I know it is), and maybe some other reasons . . . but I'm actually less hyped for this than I ever have been about a Tarantino flick. Dude never sought to cast true star power before (Harvey Keitel was biggest star in Reservoir Dogs, Travolta needed the comeback that was Pulp Fiction, ditto for Pam Grier in Jackie Brown, and while I'm a fan of Uma Thurman, she's not exactly 'A-list star who carries a box office!' though she was excellent in Kill Bill).

Just don't like the way it's marketed. Want it to come out so I can stop seeing Pitt say "Killin' Natzees!" every five minutes on TV.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To be fair, while Brad Pitt can be considered "true star power," I don't think I've seen many movies where I see him and think "Brad Pitt". His characters are just too off-the-wall.

So I don't think that factor's going to hurt this one.

Oh, and Ebert's infobox says "Mike Myers" is playing Gen. Ed Fenech. Is that the SNL Myers or some random actor with the same name as an ex-Diamondbacks pitcher?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The "Austin Powers" Myers, yes.

I know I'll probably love this movie. Just tired of seeing Pitt say the same lines over and over, that I know dudes are quoting in workplaces everywhere.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

I would destroy her.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Agreed. The trailers kicked ass. I was partial to Don't myself, as well as the rarely seen Hobo With A Shotgun.

The rest of those movies were boring to outright crappy (as in all of Planet Terror), though I did like the music and Kurt Russell's first murder scene from Death Proof. Everything after that scene was just Tarantino jerking himself off stylistically.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Death Proof is magnificent.

And 32 minutes? I say 7 minutes.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Until now, I had never heard any person of the male persuasion say they hated Reservoir Dogs.

From Dusk til Dawn was on last night. Loved that movie too.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love you more with every passing day.

(platonically, Mrs. Friedman)

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Your point being....

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I thought Kill Bill Vol. 2 was great. Didn't care much for Vol. I, though.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just got back. It's a major slow cooker -- I'd have preferred a little less talking and a little more Nazi killing -- but the payoff is really good.

Also, goddamn!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted