1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"-ing" in a headline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by This is Howry do it, Oct 15, 2008.

1. This is Howry do it

This is Howry do it New Member

The other night, I (new at pagination) put a headline on top of some AP story with a word that ended in -ing (not "fucking", thought I thought about it).

Anyway, when I had the page proofed, one of the other copy editors said "everything's good, but you gotta change that headline ... don't use -ing in a headline."

Is this a real rule? Like I said, I'm new to this, so while I think that I've seen plenty of headlines like that in other papers, maybe (probably) I'm just an idiot.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've never encountered that rule, so it's either one that doesn't paid attention to, or it's one specific to your paper (or even more specifically, whoever's proofing that page)

3. Not knowing what your headline was, I'm guessing the copy editor was telling you to put a verb in the headline instead of a gerund.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Put fucking in a few headlines and watch the readership go up.... ;D

5. Didn't you watch the VP debate? We don't use the "G" anymore.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Pictures work better than headlines ;)

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Avoiding -ing was a general rule that news vets always followed. Then "designers" got into the act and started introducing hammerheads and label heads like ... every day. They were used on features then gravitated into news and centerpieces.
    Now, they are almost the rule, at least at my place. I hate them, but as a slot, I'm not going to rewrite every headline every night.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I came up at the very end of hot type and met all sorts of veterans and heard all sorts of rules over the years, but I missed this one. Actually, I agree with somebody else who said it would help to know what the headline was.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was thinking it was probably something like ''Tards looking for first victory"

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Done well, I like them. They can offer a quality that a verb might make too time specific.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the tards suck, won't win a game all season. and they don't even try hard.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"Cleaves, Richardson flying separately to St. Louis for Final Four"

Draft saved Draft deleted