1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Informational meetings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Dec 28, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

17, it depends on what you want to find out. Are you researching the company? The job title? The paper size? The city itself?

Think about what you hope to get out of the interview. If you're just graduating, you're not going to land a beat job at a huge metro, but the beat writer at a huge metro would likely be very willing to chat. If your goal is his or her position down the road, you could ask where he or she started, how long it took to get the first job/promotion/dream job, etc. Ask about regrets -- what that person could have done differently, or would recommend now. Ask about starting points, time frames, goals, ending points -- whatever.

I did this by phone once in a different but related industry. I never had one person not want to talk about how they got into their positions.

Think about what you want to find out. Approach it like a feature story if you want. And always ask for not only more suggestions of who to talk to next but that fantastic "is there anything else I should know?" But be mindful of the time limit.

I didn't check Stitch's links (first response), but I'm betting there's good info there, too.

2. Starting17

Starting17 Member

Is it like a job shadow of sorts? Because I've done 3-4 oph those with various media in Seattle both writing and TV. Got the tour, and basically did what you outlined where did you start, what are the usual requirements when it comes to job applications like what's the ideal resume (college, experience etc) and so on.

3. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

I can't top the current advice, but I can add this: Be prepared. Be familiar with the paper or publication, and not just from the day of the visit but from the previous few days or even weeks, if possible. They'll appreciate the effort and it will allow you to ask educated, applicable questions. Most editors/reporters are eager to talk to aspiring younger people. Good luck.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Not so much. Remember, you've got 20 minutes. You don't want a tour, and you're not necessarily looking at THAT particular company. You might not even be on the site. Sometimes it's an overview on the business.

When I did it by phone that time, I took an industry guide and talked to random people at all levels of the field -- administration, marketing, higher-ups -- even positions I had no interest in. It gave me a good idea of the overall industry and how varied people's experience was.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

At my suggestion, my wife -- long before we married, when she was trying to get back on her feet after a divorce -- had an informational meeting with the (female) executive editor at her local paper. To discuss the regional marketplace, etc.

I emphasized, of course, that it wasn't a job interview. But, it fairly quickly led to some piecework, then to a full-time hire.

I think this is especially useful for people in transitional situations - divorce, new town, etc. It's a face-to-face with none of the pressure of a job interview. And it can be a gateway.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

OK, OK. If we're going to take doodah's questions seriously, I do have some experience in these matters...

• Don't mistake it for a job interview. Don't show up and hand the person you're meeting with a stack of 10 clips and a resume. It's not about you. Bring a couple clips and a resume along and, if things go well, by all means hand the person your packet at the end of the discussion.
    • Do a lot of research before you go to the meeting, both on the person you're meeting and the company that person works for. If you don't, you won't ask smart questions.
    • Don't be obnoxiously flattering. The person you're meeting with doesn't need you to tell them how great they are, and many will be put off by that approach. That's not to say you can't compliment a person or company. But make it genuine.
    • On a similar note, don't get starstruck by the person you're meeting or his or her coworkers. I had this happen recently while meeting with a student at my alma mater. He wanted all the details about working with one of my well-known colleagues (whom I rarely interact with as a copy editor, frankly).
    • Don't oversell yourself. Again, it's not a job interview. You may not even be half-qualified for any of the company's open positions. You want to be confident, but you don't want to constantly try to find parallel experiences you've had or tell them about how great your work is when they didn't ask. If they're interested, they'll ask. Even if they're not, they'll ask to be polite. Then you can talk yourself up a little. But show humility in doing so.
    • Don't be afraid to express your opinions, but don't bombard the person with them. Have a civil discussion. If you're fresh out of college, you definitely don't need to be telling veteran journalists how to do their job, but a few bright suggestions could go a long way in making the meeting stick with that person.
    • Always send a thank-you e-mail, and stay in touch if the person shows any interest in doing so. You never know when that interaction could come in handy.

Draft saved Draft deleted