1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Information used online, no credit given

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buzzerbeater, Apr 30, 2012.

1. buzzerbeater

buzzerbeater Member

I'm sure this has happened to many of you out there so how did you respond or did you respond when someone from a Web site devoted to a big-name college program posts information from your online story with no credit to the source?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You call them on it.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If it's a first-time offense or you've never called them on it, be Theodore Roosevelt. If this is the 17th time you've had to call them on it, be Joseph Stalin.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're not an editor, then your editor does the calling. If you're the editor, let the ME know. If you're the ME, give the publisher a heads up.

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

When Patch ripped us off the first time, I had my editor handle it.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm with Versatile. Let one go -- unless you're somehow pals with the person involved, then give him/her some shit -- but if it becomes chronic (two or more), you have to deal with it. If you've got a boss, he/she should be who deals with it.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Get on Twitter and bitch about it. Use lots of profanity.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I used to whine about it. The higherups turned a bling eye, because the ad department happened to be in bed with said school. And, of course, we never published anything negative about said school.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Outing alert: Mark2010 works for

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted