1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Informal poll (spinoff Rushin): Have you traveled outside of North America?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 13, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sun? Beach? Get away from winter?

I don't know the actual stats but I suspect it's in the top 3 of winter holiday spots for Canucks.

Anyway, not in the last five years (kids tend to keep one at home) but I've been to:

England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland (worked there), Austria, Germany, Spain, Greece, and West Berlin.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

in the last five years i've been to (in reverse chronological order):

italy
    hungary
    england
    ireland
    croatia
    austria
    hungary (yeah...twice)

i know you didn't ask, but going back 10 years, add two trips to japan
    going back 15 years, add another trip to japan, australia and new zealand
    going back all the way until i was born, add a ton more countries since my dad was in the foreign service and we lived and travelled all over the world

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No, I was supposed to go to Colombia with a friend a couple years ago, but my mother convinced me it was not a good idea.

I have, however, been to 46 of the 50 states (and 4 Canadian provinces), which is pretty damned good.

4. donnie23

donnie23 Member

I remember some hot summer nights in Dirkdirkistan ...

But seriously, a 2003 trip to England (Oxford and London) and Paris is my only credential.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Went to Japan in 2002 for about 10 days. Not Tokyo or Osaka either. Other than my brother and a couple of his friends and a band we saw from Britain, we didn't see another white person the whole time. Eye-opening experience. But then again, in Japan, they love temporary visitors so never did I feel unwelcome.

Had some of the best food of my life over there and some of the worst food. Definitely a unique experience, one I would love to duplicate.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

How do y'all have the time or money to do this? I'd love to get to Europe and South America. I'm jealous of y'all.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Last five years... Been to England, Ireland, Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia, Rarotonga (South Pacific), Australia, and New Zealand.

Have never been to Africa or South America, which I would like to remedy.

Just as a side note: I think if, as a child, you travel a lot with your parents, you end up traveling a lot as an adult. My wife didn't board a plane until she was 26, because her family was a cottage family. My parents dragged us around the world a few times before we left home. Now, if I'm in one place for more than two weeks, I get itchy.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Likewise removing the five year boundary, have been to Ireland, England, France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Monaco.
    Also, Mississippi.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I went to Nigeria in 2002. That's my only trip outside of North America in the past five years.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I agree with ya here. But my parents always took us on driving trips (Florida, Chicago, wherever), which has led to me being a road-trip kind of person. I just left the US-Canada for the first time this year on a cruise. Pretty fun, but i'd rather have a room with windows I can open :)

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Of course Canada doesn't count. It's part of North America ... sheesh.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

My buddy says there is great golfing there.

Draft saved Draft deleted