1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

INFORMAL POLL: Graceland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 27, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Don't remember what I paid, but it was definitely worth seeing. Even if you're not an Elvis fan, it's a snapshot of an era.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Only fools rush in to Graceland.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my in-laws paid my way in. told the wife it was the only way i'd go. i remember very little about it, probably because i was sober.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I can. I have family scattered all over Memphis, and on the rare occasions I'm there I spend time with them, and none of them have the least bit of interest in going to Graceland.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I think it's worth it. I can't remember what I paid as it was several years ago. We did the full blown tour which includes the plane and the cars. Even had our picture taken in front of the gates.

We also did the National Civil Rights Museum, which is very uncomfortable, but also worth seeing.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My knowledge of Memphis consists of the zoo, the Liberty Bowl, the old Mid-South Coliseum and a couple of titty bars down on Airways which are probably long since shuttered. No help on Graceland, though I'd like to go.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It is a lot smaller than you'd think. I thought the hall with all the gold records was very cool, only because I'd seen it on TV so many times.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, because locals are always the best people to consult on whether or not you should visit a tourist attraction. I'm sure there are millions of New Yorkers who have never been to the top of the Empire State Building. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth it for you or to go when we're in town.

And as bagel said, the Civil Rights Museum is outstanding. It's actually built on the site of the old Lorraine Motel, where MLK was murdered (his motel room and the infamous balcony are preserved).

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but I went a few years ago and enjoyed it. Did the plane and the cars, too. I liked the audio thing, but I never went when there were live guides. Don't remember how much I paid.

I am ashamed to say I took about four times the number of photos I took at Monticello.

I'd do it again if I went with someone else. I'd love to take my mom.

Memphis is a great place to visit, and Graceland is a big draw. But MLK, Beale Street and heck, even the Peabody Ducks were fun to see.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Stayin' in the classy parts of town, huh?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I paid. Well worth the money. Had "Elvis" style biscuits and gravy for lunch at the restaurant.

Also bought VIP ticket that allows you to use the crapper where Elvis expired.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

[​IMG]

Well there are other options.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted