1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Info on personal Web sites

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jun 30, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This is not to pick on Christie Chorley or comment at all on the Pronger rumors, but I checked her site to read the statement she has up.

I've never heard of her, so I read the bio. I found it a bit pretentious and wondered if that was normal for people in front of the camera. I could never, ever write like this about myself.

"From a very young age, she had a love for the spotlight"
    "personality also makes her a natural as an sports anchor"
    "The spring of 2005 brought even bigger opportunities"
    "With beauty, intelligence, personality, and work ethic, the future is bright"

It sort of makes me gag, but I'm print, so maybe this is normal. Is it common to have someone else write a bio that appears on your own site? I'm assuming she didn't write it herself. It just seemed a bit pompous.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That's certainly gag worthy for a on-air news personality...if it was on the Web site of some actress/model, it would be kind of better....nah, it's pretty pretentious, no matter who you are.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She seems to be an actress/model who is willing to do TV sports till she hit it big in Hollywood or the Canadian equivalent -- Vancouver?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not that I'm disagreeing with the assessment here, but my question (from a strictly personal point of view) is where does it cross the line from blog status to self promotion?

The reason I ask is my blog contains nothing but entries about new meals I've cooked (I'm learning to cook) and great days and activities with my son. To express my love for my little man may be self-serving -- after all, who beyond my family cares? -- but is it over the line?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not at all, alley. Your sort of blog is more of a diary, not something being used to sound off about how great you are.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Agreed. Your blog is just a diary. Many of us, myself included, also post personal stories and pictures here. We don't do it as self promotion or to build our career, though.

Her website was her resume/personal fan club. I think that's why some of us find the content a little offsetting.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

But I do sound off about how great my son is. :D

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've got a personal Web site for my professional life. I struggled as I put it together striking the balance between humility and promoting myself. It's hard for me to put lists of accomplishments together without feeling like a braggart.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

But my kids are cuter than yours. :p ;)

I think the key is to try and avoid some of the phrases you read in the first post of this thread.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My child could beat up your honor roll student. ;)

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm not sure I could pull off the superfecta of lies necessary for: "With beauty, intelligence, personality, and work ethic, the future is bright"

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Maybe her mom is the webmaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted