1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Info on Obama's academic past starting to trickle out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, May 22, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I know I base my vote strictly on how a candidate performed in his political science classes 30 years ago.

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

When the president loses the election in November, I'm not going to miss all the racist invective, gross mischaracterizations, distortions, phony allegations, stupid innuendo, historical amnesia and outright lies that sprung forth during his time in the White House.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Old_Tony as Election Day draws near:

WHERE ARE THE TRANSCRIPTS! WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

DAMMIT!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, you'll still get it. Just substitute "Mormon" for "Muslim" and "Ed Schultz" for "Rush Limbaugh."

5. Dick Whitman

It's Silly Season right now. People are filling time until the conventions.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Alas, Romney is actually Mormon.

7. Dick Whitman

So he says.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, he didn't complete the program at Oxford, right?

The guy is brilliant, but lacks discipline. I think Hillary, and her discipline, has been crucial to his success.

9. Dick Whitman

That's correct.

He's really smart, a wonk even in a lot of ways, but he's just not an academic. I can see where the tedium of the curriculum in an Oxford masters program or at Yale Law, which essentially is training future academics, not future lawyers, would bore him to tears.

10. Dick Whitman

Where is the hue and cry for Romney's Harvard grades?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I finished just a handful of spots above the bottom half of my class in my small-town Southern high school (not a bastion of high academic achievement) and graduated in the bottom-most 1% of my not-so-selective-at-the-time undergraduate institution (one more D or F and I'd have had to find an easy B or A in an extra semester of work). Around 30, I drifted back into a master's program (aptitude tests can be wonderful things) and found that succeeding academically was actually something of a pleasure. One thing led to another, hence the "doctor" in doctorquant. So, sure, that happens.

What chaps many on the right -- not a major irritation, mind you, but an irritation nonetheless -- is the disconnect between what the President's supporters might be willing to overlook with respect to his preparation and what they'd be shrieking about were he not of their political liking.

As the years have gone by I've observed that to many Democrats -- especially those in the upper socioeconomic strata -- it is very important that their guy be "an intellectual." Because so many of those who are of that stripe are/were serious achievers in their day, there can be an uncomfortable irony that their guy might not have been as brilliant (or as focused/dedicated) as they had been. W. and Kerry had largely interchangeable educational backgrounds, but Democrats close to me always clucked about what an intellectual Kerry was as compared to W. Now that might have been true, but based on those folks' preferred form of evidence (educational credentials and observed performance in pursuit of such) it was a wash.

But, no, I don't believe President Obama is dumb. I don't even think he's average. He's clearly an exceptionally intelligent man, and he has the record to back him up. I wouldn't be surprised to find, however, that there are a few blemishes on that record, and that those blemishes would draw some serious fire from his supporters were he not of their political liking.

12. Dick Whitman

How intense was the cry for Clarence Thomas's academic record? I'm actually asking. That would be the closest parallel.

Draft saved Draft deleted