1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inflation Arrives!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Dec 19, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

The inflation rate for wholesale goods appears to have investors a little worried. I can't imagine who people didn't think inflation was taking place. The only reason that prices for consumer goods have been favorable is that the switch to offshore production has allowed stores to buy pots and pans and such for less. That savings has been passed along to consumers. Now, though, China has complete control of some markets after wiping out entire U.S. industries. It is only a matter of time before they raise their prices and make a killing.

Twenty years ago, I could buy a pack of smokes and 10 gallons of gas for $10.
    By 1995, such a purchase cost me about $12.
    Today, such a purchase costs about $26.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Can of tennis balls, $1.99.

2-liter Pepsi, 89 cents (through Dec. 31).

No inflation in my world.***

***if you don't count that nasty $2,200 homeowners insurance increase. :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. BTE -
    I admire a man who lives the simple life.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Gas & cigarettes are bad examples, whether or not you're right generally, as they are both taxed at obscene rates (varyingly obscene from state to state).

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Those are pretty much the only things I need to make me happy, too.
    BT, where ya been all my life? :)

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You know I'm not good enough for you.

I'm only a $%#&$# 4.0 player. :'(

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Ya, that Pepsi is cheap at the moment. I've been sucking down Diet Mountain Dew as though it induced orgasmic energies.

But I also happen to do some mundane work in the trade mag world, though only occasionally at this point. It's worth noting that the price of many products has increased. This includes trash bags, which require a lot of petroleum. All plastics fall into this category.

There is also a huge battle over steel and other metals that has causeed those prices to climb. This includes copper and aluminum. People are actually stealing things with metal parts to sell them for scrap. Manufacturers have told me that they have no other choice but to pass along the increases to their customers.

As for tennis, I blew a knee ligament the last time I tried to play. I don't think I've hit a decent back hand since high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted