1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ines returns to Jets practice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

We have a winner!

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Really? I'm out of touch? Thank you. The next time you're getting dressed for work and wondering if your dress maybe looks too short with those heels, or what might show through your blouse if it suddenly gets cold or rainy, or if that bra gives you too much cleavage, let me know. Otherwise, I promise you, I am extremely in touch.

My original post was directed at the photo Hondo posted to start this thread, which was nothing more than a 'hubba hubba, hot tamale in dress and heels' Deadspin moment. I can find you a dozen male colleagues any day whose personal appearances and hygiene are infinitely more denigrating to the profession.

This topic is so tiresome. As ijag said perfectly above, the random goofball doesn't represent the rest of us, she doesn't make my job harder, doesn't challenge me to dress like I'm going to a nightclub. If she regularly looks and acts like an idiot she'll be treated that way. The rest of us have work to do.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

[​IMG]

I agree with the point though. There is a reason Erin Andrews is on the sidelines of every big game on ESPN and it's not because she is a great journalist. Not saying she's a bad journalist. Just that her journalistic ability has nothing to do with it.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

the 'out of touch' comment was regarding my sense you were speaking on behalf of female sports journos in general, not just from your own perspective. and while your take is obviously a valid one shared by some, i know that there are many other female journos -- particularly younger ones seeking to establish themselves as respected professionals -- cringe when something like this comes up. it's much easier for the more experienced and established women to shrug it off than it is for those who worry that their agenda is under scrutiny.

but back to the issue of this being a 'cultural' deal -- and this is a serious question -- where does everyone fall on mexico's tv news 'culture' when those talking heads are presenting themselves on foreign soil with different outlooks?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If 21 and gingerbread are over it, I'm over it.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Alaska in November? Probably like an eskimo.

Just more clothing for Glen to remove...

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ines' outfit looks appropriate for Mango's at South Beach, not for covering an NFL team.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's worse? That outfit or a guy showing up with pleated khakis?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not speaking specifically about Ines... But I bemoan the overall decline in professional attire for female broadcasters. It's something that's been chipped away over the past 15 years. And it's only half the fault of the women. They're only wearing what male TV execs think will sell. But if you look at the research, viewers do not tune in to see a sideline cutie wear a tight top-- they tune in for the game. Same for news. Viewers tune in for breaking news and weather. Not to watch Liz Cho in a sleeveless 'gone clubbin' dress. The numbers just don't support 'sex sells,' but execs do it anyway because they're desperate and figure... "can't hurt!"

If you look at male broadcasters, they've been wearing the same thing since TV was invented: Coat and tie. For women, it's just less and less and less.

Every woman wants to look sexy. But female surgeons don't wear bikini tops into the O.R. They wear what's appropriate for the job: Scrubs. So here's the part I don't get.... Why would a female broadcaster bust her ass writing her words and perfecting her delivery... only to have viewers not hear a word she says?

If I were a consultant in an ideal world, I'd have the women wearing a more feminized version of THE SAME THING the men wear: Suits. Dark suits. Not boxy-- cut to fit the figure and tailored impeccably-- but yes, suits. Every single damn day.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One could make the case that the decline in professional attire isn't unique to female broadcasters or journalism in general. I say that realizing male news anchors usually wear a coat & tie.

But field reporters usually look like they grabbed whatever shirt was on the top of the pile in the morning.

Press box attire has really changed for the worse in the last 20 years too.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

At first, I had anger for Ines myself. Typical of her trying to get attention for herself and hampering the job of other reporters.

But then, when I stopped to think about it, is her trying to get attention any worse than half of the other TV idiots I've seen in person trying to get attention for themselves and hampering the job of other reporters? Their are plenty of loudmouth radio and TV reporters that do more harm for print journalists and other radio and TV reporters than her.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I make the exact opposite case. Men aren't wearing tank tops on the air. Last I saw Mark Schwartz was wearing a tie. So was Randy Cross. If it's hot, you might see a golf shirt, but that doesn't exactly ooze sex, does it?

Print people are their own beast. I'm talking broadcast.

Draft saved Draft deleted