1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ines returns to Jets practice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Say what? The confrontation, not your opinion.

Lisa helped me with a story I did here last week, reminded me how much I miss working with her and my other ex-FanHousers. Not that it has anything to do with this story.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Vieira was working for The View then (I think). She showed up during batting practice for one of the games at Shea with a cameraman.

It was one of those "funny" kind of things. I watched her "interview" Mike Piazza, asking things like, "Who has the biggest wood on the Mets." I didn't really know Lisa then, but I knew who she was. She went right at Vieira, asked what she was doing and said that stuff really hurt female reporters.

Vieira told her to "lighten up." The conversation continued, but I had to step away to do a live hit. It continued for a few minutes. It was a real eye-opener, that's for sure.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

21, i've worked with several very attractive women, including lisa and kim jones, who managed to dress in a professional way not at all intended to bring unwelcomed attention to themselves or distract anyone from thinking they were on the job for anything beyond the assignment. it's the way female tv reporters dress for mexican tv? fine. when in rome, when on an assignment in another country, try adapting to the realities and preferences here. save your basic attire for the studio. but when dealing with american athletes in the u.s., quiet your attire down.

the women i've mentioned and hundreds of others don't dress like 'pat' and manage to be viewed as very attractive. and if you don't think the vast majority of female journos cringe at ines' act, i'd say you've become a tad out of touch with most of the tenets they try to work by.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

It was the 2000 World Series, Yanks v. Mets.
    I only spoke to Meredith because Benny Agbayani and Jay Payton of the Mets asked me to. They were upset with her for asking them which player had the biggest bat -- you know, typical grade school innuendo. I thought I was polite to Meredith, and just tried to explain that she more than most should understand how difficult those kind of questions made it for those of us who had worked hard to overcome such silly stereotypes.
    I never wrote about it, but others like Sally Jenkins did. And while I used to believe that anything another woman in this biz does reflects on all of us, I long ago softened that position. I just can't be bothered to stress over someone's tight dress.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is actually pretty tame compared to her Super Bowl media day outfit.

That said, she IS dressed professionally for the culture she works in and I don't mean that as a joke. As has already been pointed out the standards are different in Latin America. Not wrong, just different.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But the NFL doesn't have a team in Latin America yet. I know male sportswriters who are in fine physical shape, work out, run, all of that. They don't show up for a practice in tank-tops, Under-Armour shirts 2 sizes too small to show off pecs and pipes or running shorts.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Understand your point but we don't make tourists from overseas dress like Americans when they come to visit.

Broadcasters aren't the only women who dress this way in Latin America. It's just a cultural thing.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I can ask, why did you soften your position? The (blank)-reflects-on-all-of-us principle still seems to be alive, such as at those media days a couple months ago when that dope asked for the Iowa (?) coach's autograph for his girlfriend or the guy who cheered in the press box at the Daytona 500. The moron quotient seems to be getting larger all the time.

Then again, I can see why getting worked up over this can get exhausting.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm not trying to answer for ginger, but there's a different in an entire profession being lessened by the acts of an idiot, and one segment of that profession being judged by someone who's not even really in the profession. It's easier to fight for the whole of sports journalism than it is to fight against every stupid girl who shows up to ask about Shawn Green's junk or Benny Agbayani's bat.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Is she aware Bret Favre isn't there anymore?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wonder how Sarah Palin was dressed when she met Glen Rice at that Great Alaska Shootout?

12. She's not wearing a bikini. Do some people expect her to wear a burka?

This isn't a particularly provocative outfit. I can't speak to her qualifications as a journalist but that's not really the point here, is it? This is the norm for Spanish-language female "presenters". And before any of you shakes your finger at this, remind me of the last time a woman who was as gender-relatively attractive as Tony Kornheiser had a major on-camera job in sports television. There are double standards out the wazoo in this business.

Draft saved Draft deleted