1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star major shakeup...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vonnegutnaked2, Jun 27, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Is Fox Sports hiring beat writers for each team?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Fox Sports owns Scout, so yes, it already has reporters for every college team.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Also, any idea when these gigs will be posted? I imagine they already have candidates in mind for the Pacers and IU gigs.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder if they planned to fill either one or just were trying to nudge veterans out the door.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

On a different note, I've had three friends this week texting me and calling me about the Star situation. None of them are sports writers. Just avid IU or Butler fans. Usually I agree that laymen don't care about bylines. But apparently some do.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The most passionate fans care. The ones who troll the message boards care. Hell, I have about 5-7 people on FB who ask me a questions weekly about the college team that I covered over a decade ago. I have no idea why. I'm guessing they reached out to multiple beat writers and I was the one stupid enough to engage them.

7. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Congrats Hutch! Nice move for both him and Fox.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, there are always some fans who will attempt to connect with journalists and familiarity helps. I experienced the same thing.

My point is you ask a dozen random people in a sports bar about a TV or radio personality and at least half will be able to tell you what station they work for and maybe offer an opinion. Ask the same people who is the beat writer for State U or the local NFL team at the newspaper and my guess not a single one can come up with the correct name. TV and radio are personality driven, while newspapers -- for the most part --- are content driven.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The more passionate the fan base, the more likely they are to know the beat writers. Especially if the beat writer is thought to be "negative."

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

From Ruth Holladay's blog, here's Hutch's Facebook post:

Here's what the Indianapolis Star's Indiana University beat writer Hutchens posted a bit ago on his Facebook page, regarding the Star's decision to reassign him:

"I'm happy to announce to all my Facebook friends that I resigned today at the Indianapolis Star after 22 years, the last 15 on the IU beat, and accepted a position with Fox Sports/Scout where I will help them launch the Indiana site for Scout.com. Basically what this means for me is that I'll be able to do exactly what I've done for the last 15 years but now I'll be my own boss, have a small staff of people, and be able to continue to do what I really want to do. Eight days ago I learned I had been taken off the IU beat by The Star. Within four days I had a job offer and I accepted it yesterday. I appreciate those at Fox Sports having faith in me that I can bring my brand and Star following to Scout and do what I do best. My new twitter handle is @FoxSportsHutch. The launch date is set for July 21. At that time you'll be able to sign up for a subscription. It costs about $10 a month if you go month-by-month or $8 plus if you sign up for a year at a time. I'm sure all my former Star readers will be getting line to follow me at Scout. :eek:] I'll continue to take the high road with The Star and to tell you the truth they were more than fair with me today when I submitted my resignation. I just can't tell you all how happy I am that my job in a few weeks will continue to be the same one I've enjoyed for many years -- except I'll be running the show. Very cool."

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. True. People imagine the writer has an axe to grind.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Glad to see how well this worked out for him. Only way it's better is if management really wanted a "recruiting" beat writer and thought he'd take the screw-job sitting down and now has to go looking for a qualified "recruiting" beat writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted