1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star major shakeup...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vonnegutnaked2, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This happens in a lot of businesses. Some bosses feel a need to justify their paycheck by making moves, sort of like a general manager of a team who trades just for the sake of doing something. This seems to happen even more when you have a younger manager.

The handful of times when they've brought in younger managers where I worked, it was a disaster.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Michael Pointer, a longtime Star sports staffer, will be the interim Pacers writer. Happy for him, he's a good guy and has been a good company soldier there. He was the Purdue beat writer when the paper decided to stop covering the school.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Here's the full memo announcing the changes to the staff, courtesy of a former staffer's blog (http://ruthholladay.com/):

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

People being shuttled off beats aside, I am surprised to see that they are adding two staffers. That seems to be good news, at least.

Indy is really focused on the web, and I wonder if they are reacting to the fact that sports coverage really drives web traffic (at least in certain markets).

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Indianapolis Star decided to stop covering a major in-state school? Wow!

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Eh ... kind of. The Lafayette paper is Ganett-owned, as well.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ok, so they content-shared? I can understand that. I don't think the average reader cares what person is writing the stuff, as long as the stories are there.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Just saw this on Twitter:

Joel Cox @CoxBytes
    FOXSports/Scout pleased to announce that Terry Hutchens @FoxSportsHutch is coming aboard to cover the Indiana beat. #MoreToCome@IU

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So Gannett/Indy succeeded in their plan, imo. You think they're going to hire from outside for a recruiting job. No effing way.

Good get for FoxSports.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Can't imagine you're wrong at all. I wonder if they knew he had been contacted by the Fox/Scout people and figured if they gave him a little bit of a nudge, then he'd jump the rest of the way. Seems to have happened pretty quickly.

But I agree, very good get for FoxSports.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Maybe he called around and asked if anyone wanted an IU veteran who had just been railroaded.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Congratulations Terry.

Draft saved Draft deleted