1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star major shakeup...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vonnegutnaked2, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Matt, it's just like any other job. You can accept it or leave. You have that option. Every day you come to work, you come willing to accept what comes with the job. As long as there is no drop in pay, go with it and keep it moving until something better comes along.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. It seems like some of these beats have gotten to be seven-day-a-week deals, at least during the season, which can sometimes be half the year.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you had worked for Paula Deen, Drip, she's still be swimming in butter.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you have two beat writers who are both struggling or unhappy, switching beats can be a great idea. But moving someone just to move them can be stupid, especially if you're dealing with a beat where it takes awhile to develop sources/connections.

I worked at one paper where our NBA writer was promoted to columnist and the person who replaced him was woefully over his head. The columnist still got all of the breaking news, which he generously passed along to the beat writer, without even letting the bosses know. They suspected, but as long as it was working, they didn't seem to care.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't understand your post Ace. It doesn't make any sense.
    The guys in Indy don't have any control over their situation so in essence, they have no choice but to take it or leave. Yeah, it's a rough deal and all that but they also have the option to leave.
    It's really that simple.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My reference is to the employee of Paula Deen's restaurant who sued because she "wasn't willing to accept what comes with the job."

So I am saying that there are times when you can do something other that accept whatever happens or find a new job.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

As a former journalist, I feel for all the individuals being affected by this shakeup.

As an Indianapolis-area native and long-time fan of many of the teams and long-time Star reader, I'm kind of looking forward to Mike Wells on the Colts beat and hope the Sunday projects give Phil Richards a chance to stretch.

I'm particularly upset about losing David Woods on the Butler beat. He's got so much institutional knowledge and the switch is coming right on the cusp of a major change for the Butler basketball program. And Butler's such a different story from a typical college program. It just seems like such strange timing.

Woods on Butler and Cavin on racing are the two in that department that I absolutely would not want to move if I was the SE. Just my opinion.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Exactly. It comes right back to my original post. But realistically, what options do they have besides leaving or openly complaining? I feel for them. Been there a time or two over the years. It's a sucky situation.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never understood why people feel entitled to a certain job or whatever. Unless you are one of the few working under a legally-enforceable contract, you do what you are assigned to do. If the boss wants to give the NFL beat to his nephew and stick a veteran guy on prep tennis just because, well, that's his prerogative.

And, yes, if you don't like it, then take your best clips and go somewhere else.

The good ones will find a way to take lemons and make lemonade. We all would like to think loyalty and hard work will be rewarded, but there are really no guarantees for the vast majority of us working stiffs.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't disagree with this, in these cynical times.

But a lot of great beat writers get better over time, challenging themselves w/in the context of their beats. And they show people what they do by what appears under their bylines.

A lot of bosses try to show people what they do by rearranging furniture. Change for its own sake isn't always better. It can be a huge disservice to readers and can go away from writers' strengths. That's bad management.

11. A lot of bosses also like to "discover" people or be in a position to take credit for writers who do well. Inherited writers don't offer that prestige with their APSE buddies.

Also, I've seen situations in which new bosses like to eliminate or isolate people who know them from a former life. They like the younger folks who eagerly lap up the Koolaid and are very wary of anyone who might see through the bullshit.

Disclaimer: These are general thoughts on boss transitions. I have no inside knowledge of Indy.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't read the Indy Star for the Colts news. But I read enough other papers to think that the concept of a number 1 and number 2 NFL reporter can be outdated, especially with the need for immediacy in the internet era. For example, one writer can do a traditional game story and the other a more opinionated analysis of the game. Who has the more prestigious assignment? Beats me.

But I don't understand Hutchens being demoted. I do read the Star for IU news and I think he is good. I think recruiting is a major demotion, especially since the IU basketball program has returned to national prominence and local interest must be high.

Draft saved Draft deleted