1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star fires black editorial writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Nov 2, 2007.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Certain words you just can't say, no matter who you are. Also, when you put down others of your race, and not yourself.

Though to your first point: agreed.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I just don't think his race matters at all.

He screwed up. He got fired.

(I know the original story was from that angle).

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think the words in question should have been said in the Star's apology. The entire time I was reading the apology, I kept thinking, "Fired because he wrote what?"

In life, how many times can you go up to your significant other and apologize blankly for what you've done? It's hardly ever, "Sorry, honey," and you're free. It's usually, "Sorry, honey. I shouldn't have slept with your sister on your birthday. ..." I know the paper explained the scenario for the most part, and mentioned the reactions that led to Biddle's firing, but I'm still left guessing.

A while ago, someone on this site told us that when writing about a racial slur toward African Americans, you don't need to use the word because "nigger" is implied. Well, unless I missed that word in the blog entry -- and I could have -- that clearly isn't the case. I think the average reader will jump to that conclusion, even if the writer who authors the piece is African American. Granted, "zip coon" isn't much better a term, but I think that -- the exact cause of the dismissal -- needs to be told.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Exactly. Unless the story merits the use of any racial slur, keep it the fuck out. It doesn't matter what color or nationality you are, it doesn't make publishing -- in print or online -- wop, chink or zip coon acceptable. Go another route, even, at the least, if it's just to keep your job.

Biddle didn't need to call his targets "zip coons." That was irresponsible, and I'd have at least suspended the guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted