1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Upstatesfinest, Jul 2, 2007.

1. the fop

the fop Member

Jersey Guy, you and I might prefer compelling writing, but we're in the business.

Graphics and charticles aren't "visual tricks," they're a different way of presenting information that can be easier to process for readers, who increasingly tell us they don't have time to read a long story on every subject. Call me a sellout, but I think there's some merit to trying different forms and using resources in different ways. Why should one company pay two people to write a game story on the same game, if the other person could provide prep coverage that wouldn't be available otherwise?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The flaw in you're point, Jersey, is you're looking at this from the vantage point of an insider.

Indy Star readers, and most readers anywhere for that matter, are not aware and don't care that a product elsewhere might be better. In other words, they don't know the Star is mediocre (by your example), unless they've lived elsewhere.

They only care about the product being delivered to their door.

Long-time readers just know that the Star covered Purdue like it was important for generations, now they won't be. It's a big deal.

And if you don't think people notice the bylines, think again. Purdue fans will be up in arms about this, and the perception that they are less important than feted IU will be magnified.

I know this from experience as the fans on my mid-major beat have a massive grudge against my state's paper of record for not giving them their due. And my fan base is a pittance of what Purdue's is.

I also wonder whether Jeff Washburn, et al, are going to get a raise from Gannett for doing the Indy Star's work. I'm sure he's pricing his Ferrari right now. ::)

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Star has talented people, they're just handcuffed beyond belief. There are two motorsports writers and, if I'm not mistaken, they will cover three NASCAR races in person this year: Daytona 500, Chicago, Brickyard. They've got a guy who does a lot of college enterprise stuff since the NCAA is there, but again when the paper doesn't cover Purdue it's going to be tougher to take those stories seriously (maybe even tougher to get good comments from Purdue coaches/officials, they should be rightly peeved that the largest paper in the state can't be bothered with them anymore).

The Star's management right now cares more about its fringe products such as indymoms.com and indypaws.com. The latter is not a joke.

4. scalper

scalper Member

Any journalist capable of doing anything else for a living, take this thread and others like it to heart.

GET OUT NOW!!!!!!!

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Does that include, "Paper or plastic?"
    Or: "You want fries with that?"
    Or: "Tire treatment or not?"

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Thus, the list of quality beats at quality landing spots diminishes by one more.

I don't say "Get out!!!!!!" because people should do what is best for themselves. But if you're a young person who aspires to cover a major college or pro beat, those opportunities are dwindling more each day. Adn taking with it beat competition, which often raises the quality of coverage as one newspaper tries to outdo the other.

Things will only get worse, and I'm not seeing a logical reason they will get better.

7. scalper

scalper Member

One problem, even before things got this bad, was every young sports writer walked into the newsroom dreaming of the day he would write for SI, ESPN the Mag, or would land the big-time column job in New York, Chicago, L.A. People weren't realistic before times became truly desperate.

They're desperate times now and if your dream is to be a sports writer, you better like it enough to start in preps and end in preps. Because even if you get that college beat or pro beat in between, it won't be forever.

As this Indy Star story shows perfectly.

8. the fop

the fop Member

That's not my point, but in turn, you let me know when they say they're buying the Indy Star expressly for the in-house reporter's unique take on the Purdue-Iowa advance or the game.

Norrin Radd's point is the one we all lament: that good beats are going, and aren't coming back. But I think we kid ourselves if we believe the readers always share these concerns.

9. the fop

the fop Member

My bad, Jersey. I'm with you on that.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Not always, but it doesn't mean never. The Star cutting Purdue isn't like Asbury Park cutting the Giants. It's like the Daily News cutting the Giants. The Star could cut back on ND and no one would much care, because Indianapolis isn't a big ND fan base. But cutting the Purdue beat will be noticed by the locals, especially when there is reams of stuff from the latest Indiana game, and bupkus on Purdue.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

On his blog, Cavin said Saturday that this is his only weekend off of the summer. Guess the guy is entitled.

12. boots

boots New Member

This won't last. Too much of a Purdue base in Indy to completely ignore it.
    Asbury Park cutting the Giants out completely would be ugly.

Draft saved Draft deleted