1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star apologizes to Coach K for illustration

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

That sounds like something someone would say in a 10 a.m. meeting.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

oh, snap!

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

4. Possibly, if Butler wasn't in the finals. It's a hometown team involved, so naturally, the newspaper runs an us vs. them story. Was it immature? Sure it was, but I think that was the point behind the illustration.

On a side note, I think this line of thinking is where we are headed as an industry. We have a new sports editor in our shop, and he made a statement which left me stunned. Background: New Single A ballpark built here last year, and they have some "rooftop" seating across the street in right field on top of the parking garage for the field. Well, second game of the season, a waterline of some sorts breaks, closing that section of seating. Pretty much closed it for the rest of the season. And the team didn't want any bad press since it was a controversial spending of taxpayer money around these parts to build the ballpark.
    Anywho, said sports editor made the comment in a meeting that he didn't want to run the story. He said "what benefit does it give us to run that story, when the team will hold it against us all season?"
    We pretty much sl;obbered all over them with a special section, and the ballpark is definately worth going to if you are in the area, they did a lot of things right. But this was newsworthy at the time.
    It's where we are headed as an industry. We are changing. And change isn't always a good thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted