1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indoor Football provides a laugh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by daytonadan1983, May 29, 2010.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Kind of like high schools?

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

i've worked in indoor football for 4 years full-time. i've met some of the best people and some people who have no business being involved in organized sports ... and as much as i believe that it can be a great product, it's been ruined by utter mismanagement.

think anyone would buy a book entitled "balls in the wall?" a chronicle of indoor football?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Daytona Dan, with whom I have had some dealings in the past when Tupelo had an AIFA team, hits the nail on the head.
    If costs are tightly controlled and a league finds the right markets, it can work ... at least for a while.
    I also think indoor football is one of those things for which the novelty tends to run out over time in a given (mid-)market.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Are you 'avin a laugh?

[​IMG]

5. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Thank you! Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. And even worse, sometimes I feel like we take things more seriously than the people who are actually involved. In my area we've got a lot of high school sports where the level of competition is pathetic because those sports aren't big at the youth level, so you get high school teams full of kids who have barely played. We cover the stuff, but nobody -- including the coaches and the kids -- expects those teams to be any good. A lot of times I wonder why we bother.

And as far as indoor football, it's a joke in my area too with a team that can't draw any fans and consequently can't pay its bills. And for reasons that pass understanding they came back this year after a disastrous season at the gate last year. We stopped covering them this year. They're awful. They don't return calls, they've got a revolving door of players, and the one game we went to was attended by around 150 people.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So you're not applying?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/77915/

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What is more of a joke, indoor football or "semi-pro" outdoor leagues?

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Except when one of your bosses has season tickets and demands not only coverage of games, but second-day game follow-ups, mid-week features, full stat packages and game previews. Oh, yes we did.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link ... funny.

The copy editor in me also dug the "Nope to Alaska" headline, and had a laugh as I thought of John Wayne duking it out during the gold rush.

10. Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I thoroughly enjoy covering our local indoor football team. The games usually draw 1,500-2,000 people, sometimes more.

The only thing that drives me nuts is I keep my own stats to a very accurate degree, but their stat guys don't really care. If they didn't see who caught the ball, they just give the yards to the leading receiver. If they don't know an opposing player's name, I can look forward to seeing a name like "Butthole Jones" on the stat sheet. Actually, that part is kind of funny for me. If they can't count the yardage fast enough, they just round it up to the nearest 10. And then it really frustrates me when I see the follow-up press releases saying so-and-so had 220 yards receiving, but because I was paying close attention and cared about taking accurate stats, the guy had 175.

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I see rosters where a player's college is listed as Hard Knocks

Best line when I was covering the Carolina Speed and the roster mispelled the player's alma mater in Chapel Hill....

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

There's a job posted on this board from Wasilla. That makes it 15 mins from Tahoe, right? :)

Should cut the drive down to about 30 hours or so ...

Draft saved Draft deleted