1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Individuated"? Who comes up with this crap?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Furry Tractor, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_11847497

Can't we all just speak English?

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It's finally happened. Print your own newspaper at home. Individuated or not, the Daily News doesn't have a design and editing system that can make it through the night without some sort of glitch. I can't imagine what kind of investment they made it a publishing and distribution system.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The money graph, of course buried four graphs from the end of the story.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Yeah, so, invest in thousands of printers to be distributed to readers' homes ... what happens if the paper jams and Aunt Tillie uses a spatula to fix it and it requires service? What, call the Geek Squad?

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

I don't know what is more ridiculous, the fact that MediaNews is trademarking a word so they don't have to say "individualized" or taking their biggest papers down to three days a week.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The matter of people not so skilled on computers trying to open their "e-edition" on the day we go to that at the end of the month in Detroit came up at a meeting with the publisher this week. Apparently, they're steeling themselves for a very bad day on the phones with people calling up to say they can't figure out how to open their papers.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Another "money graph" toward the bottom of the story:

"Ads will be delivered as well. Where possible, the ads will be matched to each reader's choice of stories. For example, a reader who selects high school sports stories might receive ads from retail sports stores, or skiers might receive ski-related ads."

If current sports section ads are any indication, readers selecting sports stories also will receive plenty of ads for strip clubs and adult book stores. ::)

I guess my overall gripe about this plan, besides the multitude of delivery problems, is this: I ALREADY can choose the stories I want in the newspaper I get now.

If I don't want to read a story, I turn the page.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Clearly, this move will embiggen the profits of any newspaper chain that tries it.

Draft saved Draft deleted