1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indians catcher Carlos Santana suffers horrifc injury

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Reports now saying it's a knee injury and he'll have an MRI today.

http://twitter.com/tribeinsider/status/20188605000

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, upon further review, seemed like the type of hyperextended knee you see in every football game. Possibly torn MCL and/or ACL, but didn't seem to be a catastrophic bone injury.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he did all three. They'll just extend the drum solo on "Soul Sacrifice" a bit, that's all.
    What a night for Sox third base coach Tim Bogar. Cost his team the game, and the opposing team their catcher.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.theonion.com/articles/indians-apologize-for-not-having-ace-pitcher-to-tr,17819/

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

If the Indians, who play in a modern stadium with pretty modern amenities and revenue streams, have to run their franchise like the freakin Kansas City Royals in order to survive financially, what's the point of even staying in business?

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Stadium's already 16 years old. They'll be asking for a new one within a decade.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Only saw the video once and it was last night, but I remember thinking it was a horrible slide.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Contrary to the guesses of our amateur diagnosticians who had amputation with a rusty saw scheduled for sometime today, the injury is a strained LCL with no interior damage to the knee, no fracture. Team says he might - MIGHT - be back in a few weeks. Surgery to tighten up the ligament might also be an option as well.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Indians dodge a bullet. That play reminded me of the June 1974 game-ending Carlton Fisk-Leron Lee collision in Cleveland. Tribe wins game, Sox lose Fisk for season (helping precipitate their collapse down the stretch).

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I'm sure that comment was at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but you're closer to the truth than you realize. There was a story on Orioles officials looking into overhauling Camden Yards about 6 months ago, and it mentioned the Indians were considering the same thing.

Jacobs ... err, Progressive Field has held up really well, but the one thing they really screwed the pooch on is the luxury boxes. When the stadium was built, luxury boxes were the be-all, end-all of stadium revenue. They put a ton of them in the Jake (and you could make a case that they're the park's most distinguishing feature - three stories of suites wrapping around 2/3 of the field).

Since the economy has gone in the tank, nobody wants them anymore, and now the Indians are stuck with a bunch of empty boxes (hell, they can't even fill up 25 percent of the regular seats these days). They've already converted one of them into a "man cave," and a couple others are party rooms. Now, they're trying to figure out what to do with the rest.

Somehow, I don't think this would be as pressing an issue if the team they put on the field didn't suck out loud.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

For reference: As of today, 27 teams have drawn a million in attendance. Oakland's at 980,000 and change. Florida is at 970,000 and change. Cleveland's a 100,000 behind the Marlins.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

And it's not even like winning is guaranteed to bring people back anymore. When they won 96 games and were in the playoff race until the last weekend of the year, they averaged less than 25,000. Their last playoff year, 2007, wasn't a whole lot better.

It is astonishing just how badly the Dolans have handled this franchise. I know it's unrealistic to expect anything like the 455 straight sellouts of the late 90s again, but to go from the highest of highs back to the lowest of lows (with little sign of hope in sight) takes an especially high degree of fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted