1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana University Journalism to undergo significant restructuring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ralph Smith, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith New Member

The J School will merge with Telecommunications and Communication and Culture to form a Media School.

http://news.iu.edu/releases/iu/university-wide/2013/10/trustees-approve-new-media-school.shtml

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This stinks out loud. Shoving journalism into the College of Arts and Sciences, no longer independent. The academics have been making it sound snappy for a long time but most of the alumni know the score. "The Media School" ... ugh.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from Indiana: B.A.J. Now, the kids will get a B.A. Huge difference, especially when the likes of Mizzou and Northwestern are competing for the same students.

Sadly, no journalism alumni could write a big enough check to keep this from happening (because, well, they're journalism alumni). Just sucks.

3. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

My degree from Indiana is a bachelor of arts with a major in journalism. It was that way back then. I don't think it makes any difference how the degree is phrased.

But it sucks they are merged in with radio, TV and speech.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I really don't think when people are hiring that they look to see if someone has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism or a Bachelor in Arts and majored in journalism. I know I don't. I look to see where they went to school and what kind of internships and clips they produced. I think you're overstating the difference. Kids are going to go to the school's with the best programs, regardless of how many letters it takes to abbreviate their degree.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I really agree that hiring executives don't think much past the name of the school with the degree ... and often very little about that.

It's all about what you've done.

Draft saved Draft deleted