1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana student sues over school graduation prayer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with what the kid did. Yeah, he legally has the right to do it. Fine. I don't think he's brave by any means, though. He went and did this, then hid behind the ACLU. He wouldn't be interviewed for the story.

As far as people just spouting off crap, in general, that's funny to me. To hear "lawyers" coming on here (on other threads) and spilling their lawyer "knowledge" just makes me laugh a bit.

Also, the baseball thing was a joke. Guess my sarcasm needs work.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Still doesn't sound very specific. Why does the kid have to give an interview? Sounds like we've got yet another poster who doesn't like what the kid is doing, so you just make up motivations for him.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Firstly, I didn't point out anybody. You did that. No matter the side of the fence, I think everyone is being a bit ridiculous.

My only point is that if anyone disagrees with someone else, they're automatically "senseless" or "irrational." And it's making me laugh. That's all. Do continue with the entertainment.

And no, I don't like what he's doing, but this is America and he's got the right to do it. I don't wish anyone to beat him senseless, or anything bad to happen to him. But if he's going to start the fight, stand up for yourself, don't let the ACLU do all of your fighting for you.

Do an interview, tell everyone why this bothered you. That seems fair, right? Maybe if he does, he'll get the public (and the haters on this board) to see his argument. That's all.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think it's funny that some people would rather throw out a few smirky comments than put themselves on the line with any sort of argument.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

A prayer to "God" can be interpreted as Allah, Christ, Yahweh, Buddha, etc., if worded in a non-sectarian way. Happens in a lot of venues.

I'd say the likely reason this hasn't been closed yet is that the majority of opinions have been the typical "let's shove God into some closet and throw away the key" crowd that attacks this stuff.

But the pastor is wrong, we're not a democracy. We're a Republic. But then, when it suits, we're not a Republic. Depends on who is arguing what.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A Republic is a form of democracy.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

If thugs beat him senseless, let's hear the "hate crime" people that would raise that kind of hell if it was a gay teen being beat for speaking his beliefs. I'll wait.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So the teenager should stand on his own rather than take advantage of the ACLU taking his side? Um...yeah, that's a terrible idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.