1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Sportswriters & Sportscasters Hall of Fame names 2019 class

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by crimsonace, Feb 11, 2019.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Indiana Sportswriters & Sportscasters Association introduces its 2019 Hall of Fame class, which will be inducted April 7.

Gordon Engelhardt, Evansville Courier & Press
    Chuck Freeby, WHME-South Bend
    Mike Haynes, Colorado Avalanche
    Robin Miller, NBCSN
    Rita Price-Simpson, WRSW-Warsaw
    Art Saltzberg, WOWO-Fort Wayne

Also, the following will receive annual awards
    Rick Semmler, WTHI-Terre Haute (Marv Bates Sportscaster of the Year)
    Mike Carmin, Lafayette Journal & Courier (Corky Lamm Sportswriter of the Year)
    Steve Fields, Greencastle Banner-Graphic (Ron Lemasters Lifetime Achievement Award)
    Mike Skvara, ESPN 97.7-Evansville (Bob Williams Helping Hand Award)

Indiana Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association Announces 24th Annual Awards | Regional Radio Sports Network

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Long overdue for Robin. Sitting behind him in the IMS media center for several years was an education and a delight.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

... especially on race day when he brought (and still brings in) several dozen Long's donuts to share.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of food and Robin at IMS -- he never ate on the Hulman-George dime. We all joke about press box food (which at the Indy 500 has deteriorated over the years), but all of us pretty much eat it. Someone asked him one day "hey, wanna grab lunch downstairs?" and he said "I don't need them to feed me." He always would brown-bag something and keep it in the fridges near his work area, or on occasion he'd eat at the Honda hospitality tent or such. Just one of those little things that maybe doesn't mean anything, but given his sometimes-combative nature with IMS and IndyCar management (who have deserved varying levels of razzing) he never wanted them to have anything over him, even as small as a meal.

5. sporty

sporty Member

The idea of Robin Miller getting into any Hall of Fame diminishes that honor immensely. Anyone who knows or knew Robin knew that he was a huge gambler and that whether he won or loss often influenced his reporting. Trust I saw it and saw it be overlooked and covered up. Robin was about as crooked as they came and very much about the good ole boys system. Those who kissed his ass moved up and you can tell those because they have all been pushed out after his departure. Robin was everything that is bad about sports journalism. For you who are fans of his either you never worked with him or he hand picked you at some point. I hope someone looks into why he was ultimately let go from The Star.

6. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I see him at Charlie Browns all the time in May.

Draft saved Draft deleted